Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bigger better for dock shooting?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bigger better for dock shooting?????

I'm looking at a BnM Sharpshooter to add to my arsenal. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the 5'6" vs 4'6" rod?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards, Wally "FishnFed"

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I really like bnm I have 20 pro-staff rods and I have 3 bnm sharp shooters and broke two of them first time I used them I use a 5ft ugly stick that's been modified to make it stiffer and it works great they run around 35.00 if your interested send me a pm and I will give you the number to the bait shop that makes them.
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

I've used those sharp shooters and like them. But I use a berkley lighting rod 5'6" and it works just as good and they aren't exspenive either. The berkley cherrywood rods are good too.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

You can get in closer with a short rod but get more distance with a longer rod,i have a 6' cherrywood med light action that has become my favorite,it started off as 6'6" but i got in too close one too many times.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used the 5.5' Wally Marshall rod. It's not available as a Wally Marshall anymore but Bass Pro is showing what looks to be the same rod in their "new" line of crappie rods. I tried the 4.5' version a couple of years ago and couldn't hit squat with it. Seemed that every time I tried to go under a dock the shot would go high. I'm sure some time spent with it would have cured the issue but since I had a pair of 5.5'ers I didn't work at it for very long.

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Try to find a 5 foot or 5.5 foot 1 piece ugly stick. Iv found the 1 piece rods tend to shoot better than a 2 piece. The 5.5 foot rod will load a little better that the shorter one. But the shorter one may be more comfortable for you. I to have broken a B&M sharp shooter.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking I've tried several lengths ...

... from 5' to 8' rods, and successfully shot docks with all of them. I don't, however, recommend the 8' ones :p

In all seriousness, my favorite dock shooting rods are 5' & 5' 6" ... an old 5' Quantum rod, & a 5' 6" ESP rod (prototype rod that I fieldtested). I try and make sure I have at least 4ft of distance, between the straitened rod & the dock, before making my cast (shot).

Understand that the BnM Sharpshooter is an UL rod ... with a parabolic bend. My Quantum & ESP rods are UL rods, but with fast action tips (bend mostly towards the tip). Fast action rods seem to "shoot" the jig with more speed, whereas the parabolic bend rods seem to catapult the jig (with not so much speed). If you're shooting wide open docks (those with a couple of feet of clearance between dock & water surface), it doesn't seem to make as much difference as when you're shooting a jig through a more narrow opening. Timing your release is a bit different between the two actions, too ... with the fast action rods requiring a slightly quicker release (due to the faster reflex speed of the rod).

Parabolic bend rods also require a heavier hand when setting the hook .. due to the greater overall bend of the rod length. They also don't create as much hooksetting power, due to the lessened backbone power of a parabolic bend.

A wide spool or longcast type of reel will be of great benefit to you, as it will allow for longer casting distances. Matching the reel size/weight to the rod, for a proper balance point, is also an important factor to consider.

Not trying to talk you into, or out of, any particular rod length/brand/action ....I am just relating my experiences/opinion. The person that introduced dock shooting, to me, uses a 6' 6" med action (brand unknown) ... and my fishing partner uses a 6' lite action (Berkley Cherrywood). They seem to work well enough for them, that they haven't changed their preferences.

.. cp

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that a one piece rod does the job better than a two piece. In tight quarters a smaller rod will get around easier. I have shot docks with some very unconventional rods, completely off the mark from all we discuss here, simply because I had them in my hand and I needed to make a shooting presentation. Find a rod that's comfortable to do most of what you need when it comes to shooting docks, and once you learn and become more comfortable with it, one or two of the rods you've been working with will become your favorite. A lightweight one piece rod will get you started and you will go from there. Spending good money isn't needed in the beginning. One of my club Brothers uses an $8 rod from Wally and does fine with it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very much a rookie at dock/toon shooting, but I been using a 4'6 ugly stick and it does well......that being said I am a big fan of BnM.....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13