Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on crappie regs

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Opinion on crappie regs

I wanted to start a new thread pertaining to your opinions about size and quantity limits the state imposes on crappie waters. Explain regulations and before and after effects of your favorite lake. To start things off Wappapello Lake will begin a minimum length of 9" effective March 1. From talking with the managing fisheries biologist, I believe they have a strong base for implementing this reg. The reasoning was based on creel surveys and population counts of crappie. Let the fun begin.:D
    "She's A Bute Clark"

Post Thanks / Like

there is no size limit yet on henderson lake in south louisiana but there is rumor that they are thinking about a size limit. I would like to see a nine to ten inch limit. some people down here keep them as soon as they hatch from the eggs

Post Thanks / Like

The lakes I fish out here in Claifornia don't have size limits on crappie because not to many people fish for them. When I was in Missouri I thought that they should have changed the size limit on Truman to 10" on crappie and 12" on Kentucky bass. Nine inches IMO is pretty small. Especially from a lake that has so to offer and unlimit possibilities.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10" limit

I am all in favor of a 10" min. limit of crappie within all of Missouri. The lakes I fish in south central Missouri have this limit.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I'll throw in with CH, on the 10" statewide. I do wish they would do something with Twain, what I don't know. I do know everyone I talk to is dismayed with all the small fish to the point they're going elsewhere. I really like MT, and can still wade through the runts and get a limit of decent fish but it seems to be getting worse...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to see it go to 10" in the whole state. The numbers seem to be gradually going down each year. A lot of the lakes in Florida lowered their numbers from 50 to 25. People were going out getting their limit and going back at night. Not enough enforcers to watch everyone. Fun to catch, hope we don't over catch and hurt the numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Jimbo, Izzy and CH........ What if the lake can't produce 10" fish in the regular three year growth pattern? I found from a few articles that this is what the size limits are based on: the growth of the crappie. If they implement a 10" limit on a lake that produces 9" crappie in that grace period, basically it spells disaster. I dunno, what do you all think.
    Last edited by crappierascal; 02-16-2006 at 06:30 PM.
    "She's A Bute Clark"

Post Thanks / Like

Default regs

Rascal, thats exactly what the mdc wants folks to believe about mark twain, they said that if a crappie wasnt 8+ inches by 3 yrs old it would die, and went on about shad as a food base...............not sure what to think about their management but I would like to see a 9" limit on that lake too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm clueless as to how the MDC comes up with the rules they implement also fellers. If any of ya know of any sites out there I can check out on this subject i'd like to read them. I go to the MDC site often but don't remember seeing anything about it...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Smithville Lake and there is a 9 inch minimum with a 15 total daily limit. My feelings are that if you are trying to keep fish less than 9 inches, then you are not getting a fillet worth eating. Plus, if you need more than 15 fish per day, you are obsessed with keeping fish. Don't we all fish for the joy of being on the water and enjoying a hobby rather than worrying about bringing home 50 fish a day? I fish for the sport...I love eating fish as much as the next guy but my objective when I put my boat in the water is to enjoy a few hours in the wildlife and do something that I truly love to do.

Just my $.02.
    When in doubt, set the hook.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast