Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: lake erie west harbor today!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default lake erie west harbor today!!!!!!!!!!

I will be fishing west harbor and possibly the portage river today and tomarrow. I will post a full report when I get home. fish on !!! guy

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy and I were up today and yesterday. It...sucked. We brought home 14 and the biggest was 10.5". A lot of 4-8 inch fish. The weather was beautiful and we had a great time, but not the trip we were anticipating. But that happens. A lot! Didn't catch a single fish of any kind on the Portage River docks. We marked a million fish in the middle of the river itself, but didn't try to find out what they were.

It was our first time up and we did a lot of exploring and probably too much fishing dead water at first. Then we stuck where the little fish were because it was more fun catching them and an occasional keeper than looking around some more. I hope you have better luck, guybass.
    It's not a keeper if you have to ask...:p

Post Thanks / Like

well here it is , the full report on the harbors. east was to clear, west had alot of dinks, and the portage river was awesome. the marinas down close to the railroad bridge where on fire. I never caught so many big crappies in such a short amount of time. we actually fished 2 hours in the portage and caught 27 crappies over 10 inches with one going 14". At one time we doubled up on 11"s. If we could have stayed till 4pm we could have easily boated 60+ big keepers. even the guys fishing from the docks were hauling them in left and right . The water temp was 50 degrees and we were fishing in 5-6 ft of water ,stained, with our bobbers at 2 feet.The weather was perfect 50-60 sunshine. I was using a silver and chartruese stinger on a 32/oz head and my buddy Jeff was using a chartruese tube, and a pink glitter tube. you could also vertically jig right next to the post and get busted. I even stuck a 3lb largemouth. If your going to erie, go to the portage river, access on rt163 , launch and go just past the railroad bridge and head left for the docks with the 5 ft of water , we left plenty there for everyone. The locals also said this was a hot spot for the spring bite also. If I can download my pictures I will post one.Now for a sad note , If you guys believe in prayer , say one for my buddy Jeff, we cut our trip short because his house caught fire while we were there and we had to get home. his family, thank God, was not home at the time. Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Great report. Been wanting to do this for a long time but whenever I get up there I have to go perching.
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on getting on the fish, guybass! We just couldn't find them with any size, and didn't catch a thing on the Portage. We probably drove right past them! Anyway, we learned a bit and might give it another try next fall.
    It's not a keeper if you have to ask...:p