Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: River Shiners

Post Thanks / Like

Default River Shiners

I went out and trapped some shiners and filled my bucket with fresh river water and I am using my aerator and took them home. I got my small bait tank ready and dumped my clear river water in my tank and turned on my bilge with a 3/4 pvc pipe that leads to where my water spills into my traugh (spelling) that has two 3/4 90's on the bottom spilling water back in the tank. I put the activated carbon in my traugh along with my filter and my water turned to a murky grey look. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? The shiners seem to be okay. I didnt think the water would discolor like that, I thought it would stay clear.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you dumped the carbon into your trough w/o rinsing the chunks off first. I also assume that the carbon and filter media is in a container and the water is pulled thru the filter container.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezgo View Post
    I put the activated carbon in my traugh along with my filter and my water turned to a murky grey look. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? The shiners seem to be okay. I didnt think the water would discolor like that, I thought it would stay clear.
    Sounds like they just "Cleaned Themselves Out" (crap) ..
    Hatchery raised shiners when removed from the ponds are placed in a tank with running water so that they can be "Toughened Out" As soon as they hit the live water they will "Clean Out" after the water clears they are treated with chmicals.

JSC
    JSC On The Choctawhatchee

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks guys, When I was fishing on the river, I thought of was I supposed to rinse the carbon off first. That sounds like the problem.