Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: maggots

Post Thanks / Like

Default maggots

It is getting cold and i read some were that maggots work good in the cold i was wondering if any of you knew were to get them and how much they cost and how to keep them from turning into fly's lol thanks for the help
    NO CRAPPIE IS SAFE
    www.crappiekillers.com

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I get mine at a bait shop. I can get 250 for $7.00 and the same with wax worms. They will keep dormant a few months in my garage refrig. When I want to go fishing I take a few doz out and put them in my container for the bank fishing trip and leave the rest in the refrig. After fishing the rest go back into the frig.

You can also go to www.dogpile.com and do a search on purchasing live bait and see what pops up in your area or on the web.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks i just found some and ordered
    NO CRAPPIE IS SAFE
    www.crappiekillers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie-killers View Post
    It is getting cold and i read some were that maggots work good in the cold ...
    Maggots are good anytime. They are the best bait I've ever used, period.

Quote Originally Posted by crappie-killers View Post
    i was wondering if any of you knew were to get them and how much they cost and how to keep them from turning into fly's lol thanks for the help
    I dream of the day when I can walk down to my local bait shop and buy a pint of maggots. Since I'm not sure I'll ever see that in my lifetime, I order mine online.

Two good sources are Grubco and Vados Bait:

Grubco | Buy Online

Vados Bait Express LIVE MAGGOTS

I usually order 10,000 at a time, but I go through a lot. You need to keep them refrigerated at around 34-35 degrees. I have kept them for over two months, but that's pushing it. A key to keeping them alive is: do not let them dry out. I put them in a Glad food container and poke holes in the top so air can get in. Then, I sprinkle water on the inside of the cover. This provides some extra moisture.

When you get the maggots, they may give off a strong ammonia smell. This is the bedding they're shipped in, not the maggots themselves. You need to change the bedding when you get them. I use corn meal for that. Use about half as much corn meal as maggots. (In other words, one half cup of corn meal to one cup of maggots.)

I've been fishing with maggots for about fifteen years, so let me know if you have any questions.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like more information on how you fish with the maggots deathb4disco.. do you add the maggot to a jig, or just fish with the maggot directly on the hook?
    Slab Stik'r Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappiehappy View Post
    I would like more information on how you fish with the maggots deathb4disco.. do you add the maggot to a jig, or just fish with the maggot directly on the hook?
    I rarely tip jigs with maggots. It will definitely work, but a much deadlier method is float fishing with maggots. That’s all I ever do. For a good demo on the float method, check out the Youtube video below. This is almost exactly how I fish maggots for bluegills, trout, crappie, etc.

YouTube - Ian Heaps Fishing at Holgan Farm

That’s Ian Heaps in the video, a former English world champion. He’s fishing with a maggot called a “pinkie”. They are the larvae of the green bottle fly. There are two other types of maggots used for bait: “squatts”, the larvae of the house fly and plain ol’ “maggots”, the larvae of the blue bottle fly. Blue bottle larvae are the biggest of the three and the only ones that are sold here in the US. It’s the only maggot I’ve ever used.

It’s important to use light line and small hooks. Even though he’s fishing for carp, he’s actually fishing a little lighter than I do. I normally use 4# line with a 2-3# leader. I use dry fly hooks in the #14 - #20 range. I use English waggler floats identical to the ones he’s using. Thill wagglers and Drennan wagglers are good substitutes and are readily available here in the US.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the link they are cheeper than the place i got my last batch will order from them next time
    NO CRAPPIE IS SAFE
    www.crappiekillers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to explain your method. :D
    Slab Stik'r Jigs

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Db4d is a stand up guy. You will learn a lot from him. I appreciate how he will take time and explain things for you.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

hey death does vados carry maggots year round? I have seen a couple of other places sell them and then they stop selling them for the season around early spring when the ice goes out up here in the northern parts. they say its a popular ice fishing bait but not much call for them during the summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast