Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 year old ranger boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default 25 year old ranger boat

in my insane and constant search for the perfect boat, i have found one that i didn't even know existed. it is a 1985 center console ranger 380 chief. everything works and it has orginal motor and ranger trail galv. trailer. my question is, would you trust a 25 year old boat? rangers are suppose to last a while but is this pushing the limit? i know the motor could have a ton of hours, i am more concerned about the hull. what do ya'll think. would you be afraid of this thing?

Post Thanks / Like

It is just like anything you buy used. It depends how well it was kept up. I have 692 Ranger Fisherman that is about that old it is about like a new because the guy I bought it from kept very good care of it. My brother has a 1985 Ranger that he bought new and it looks like it did the day it rolled off the show room floor. Ranger is a well made boat and if it was kept up it will give you 20+ more years of service with a little maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 25 yr old Champion last fall, everything was original. I knew I'd have to replumb the livewells. The boat hull isn't showroom, but it's been fine. The trailers been a different story. I've rebuilt it now. I have a friend who has a 86-87 cc Ranger Chief and loves it. Things are gonna need replaced eventually with older boats. If the motor checks out, and the price is right, I'd buy it.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Not familiar with that model of ranger, however I have a 34 yr old ranger ( 1976 bassmaster classic ) with a 115 johnson. Fish with it all the time. Flat out gets the job done.

HHD
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

Default I bought one like that

Except it was a little older. a 17' foot Lowe. Like already stated, the guy I bought mine from had really taken care of it. It certainly does not look new but I'm very happy with it. It also has the original 48hp Johnson on it.

Steve

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is not as old, 1994 Carolina Skiff. Problem is going to be with the motor. Parts will be hard to get, my power tilt needs the top seal and the don't make the kit anymore. Just one with the plugger, $450+,.

Hull is still in great shape. Good buy and I am having a great time.

See you on the water.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sure there is nothing wrong with the Fiberglass. If the floor and transom were made from plywood as opposed to composites, walk on the floor to make sure it is solid with no soft spots. Check the transom with a small hammer or solid object by tapping and listen for hollow sounds or rotten areas. Hours do not hurt a 2-stroke engine; stored for long periods with out proper "winterizing" does. The best "used" boats are ones that are used weekly. Most of the time everything works.

Monk Monk's Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I love the older Rangers. If I ever sell my Javelin I want an 89-92 Ranger, tons of storage and a longer front deck than a lot of bass boats of that age. Test run it on the water if at all possible, check the compression on all the cylinders by a marine mechanic at a minimum. Look at the condition of the gelcoat on the bottom of the hull. A few spiderweb fine lines in the gelcoat would be normal on that age of boat used regularly but nicks, gouges and cracks are a warning sign. Pull the drain plug if it has been stored outside and see if water has been allowed to sit between the hull and deck=warning sign for waterlogged foam and rot. As far as trusting a boat of that age, absolutely.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monkscrappie View Post
    I am sure there is nothing wrong with the Fiberglass. If the floor and transom were made from plywood as opposed to composites, walk on the floor to make sure it is solid with no soft spots. Check the transom with a small hammer or solid object by tapping and listen for hollow sounds or rotten areas. Hours do not hurt a 2-stroke engine; stored for long periods with out proper "winterizing" does. The best "used" boats are ones that are used weekly. Most of the time everything works.

Monk Monk's Crappie
    What he said. Pay a few bucks to have it looked at by pros if you aren't sure. Mine is an '88 Bumble Bee made here in TN and I'm thrilled with it. A pocket knife will do for the transom test, very important. Don't ask how I know.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

thanks folks. as usual lots of good info and advice. old simpleman appreciates the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast