Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shelf life of mono

Post Thanks / Like

Default shelf life of mono

does anybody know what the shelf life of monofilimant line is when stored in a dark, cool place with low humidy?..........ok, my real question is, i 've got a couple partially used spools of mono stashed in a drawer and there is no telling how long they've been there...reckon they still any good?
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

If it regular mono and its a year old, it garbage. If it's copolymer then it's probably still good. I have put 5 yr old copoly on a reel and it was as good as new. Stuff never seems to deteriorate.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the mono. A very experienced guy I know from another forum has been using the same bulk spool of Tectan for over ten years.

If you still have doubts, buy a new spool. Line is cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Rule of Thumb. WHEN IN DOUBT DONT DO IT! I have probaly got 25 Partial Spools of Big Game Trilene in my Shop all different ages that I re-spool my reels as needed. I have no fear of their Quality. BB

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of partial 3000 yard spools of 4lb Trilene XL that I bought about 1985 or 1986 that is still fine. It's been in a basement since new. Any degradation at all in 4lb would be noticeable, and it works fine. Landed a drum that pegged my 10lb scale last year on it.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Actually ...

... I've got partial spools of BPS Excel that are close to 30yrs old along with several other name brands. They've been in the "fishing/hunting equipment closet" and are still in good shape. I wouldn't hesitate to put them on a reel & use them. I'm still spooling up with the Mr Crappie hi-vis line that I got from here, several years ago .... and haven't noticed any deterioration or loss of strength. I don't leave mono on a reel for more than a years use, so I change out all the lines just before I start fishing the new year. I've yet to have my lines break on a hookset, either ... and usually have to pull pretty hard to break it when hung up (and that's 4lb test :p ).

You can figure out whether it's good or not, real easy. Spool it on a reel, and anchor it onto something .... then pull on it, and set the hook several times with it ... and if it don't snap like thread, it's probably still good for another season.

If it's been in your vehicle, boat, exposed to sunlight or temp fluctuations over any period of time, then I'd consider it "dead" and recycle* it.
    (* I take my old/used line to my local bait shop, and they send it in for recycling)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    ... (* I take my old/used line to my local bait shop, and they send it in for recycling)

... cp
    i had no idea there was such thing...i'll go ask my local baitshop owner if he participates...........................and thanks to all for the info

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Now you know ...

Quote Originally Posted by fishinRod View Post
    i had no idea there was such thing...i'll go ask my local baitshop owner if he participates...........................and thanks to all for the info
    F-Rod .... If they don't, read thru some of these Google see if your area has a participating dealer, or turn your dealer on to the idea.

This is what Berkley does with the recycled line they receive : Berkley Fish Habs

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinRod View Post
    If you're near a Bass Pro, they definitely recycle. My local BP has a barrel where you can deposit old line.

Post Thanks / Like

i guess i need to crawl out from under this rock and hike outa these woods and see what else is going on out there:rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast