Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JIg making?

Post Thanks / Like

Default JIg making?

I was gonna post this question on the jig making forum but see that there are quite a few of the ohio bros that make there own jigs/swimbaits etc. I am a landscaper and have a lot of time in the winter where Im bored out of my skull and think it would be a neat pass time to make my own jigs??? Where can I get a starter kit for making these?? If the snows not flyin Im not workin and I am getting tired of playing myself at checkers. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

get on Janns Netcraft site or go to their store and buy yourself a lead pot and whatever molds you would wanna make. Hooks, paints if you wanted to paint them, and you'll be set other than lead. There's a lot of good info to help you from there in the jig making section. It's a nice little hobby. I found I save some money by making my own and I get better quality than ones I would buy in the stores for the most part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rockbass View Post
    get on Janns Netcraft site or go to their store and buy yourself a lead pot and whatever molds you would wanna make. Hooks, paints if you wanted to paint them, and you'll be set other than lead. There's a lot of good info to help you from there in the jig making section. It's a nice little hobby. I found I save some money by making my own and I get better quality than ones I would buy in the stores for the most part.
    I think I may have confused ya rockbass. Sorry bout that. Guess I meant i want to tie up my own jigs. Ya know like these bad ass looking swimbaits that some of the ohio bros are showing. Im sure it can be a little expensive getting into it buying all the feather colors, thread etc. but I just wanted to know if I could buy a good starter kit from somewhere. In the jig making forum it saids that the ones from basspro shops, cabellas etc. have not got very good tools (vice, things like that). I was planning on buying the jigheads but tieing up some different colors and such.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCrazed View Post
    tired of playing myself at checkers. LOL
    must be losing...

bass pro has everything you need
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

Like rockbass said, try jannsnetcraft. They have stuff for tying too.
    Rod Building Supplies | Lure Making Supplies | Fly Tying Supplies | Fishing Hooks

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the cabelas super aa vise that rotates 360 and for 13 bucks it is worth the price, and I ordered a bobbin from them also it is the ceramic one that was stressed and advised by the guys on jig tyeing form. If you have any questions them guys are great to talk to, Also I ordered a 1/2 oz of marabou feathers from barlows tackle and went to bass pro and got some thread and powder paint. I would say grand total I have invested with the paint about 80 bucks. I did buy the loons head cement, tried the finger nail polish thing and it will gag you after awhile, but the loons preforms well and it has no odor. Watch the vids on youtube it will show you alot.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few sources for materials with good prices and all have EXCELLENT customer service.

crazyangler Home Page
    Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
    chuckanddeb.com Fishing tackle

Post Thanks / Like

x2 on crazy angler. If you need some jigheads PM me.

Post Thanks / Like

Not absolutely necessary, but I'd invest in a good whip finisher tool. I like this style best:

Cabela's: Cabela's Whip Finisher

You can always just use a few half hitches, but a whip finish knot holds alot better and tighter--a shame to lose your hard work if the material doesn't stay in place.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Barlows Tackle, I like them better than Jann's Netcraft. They are a little cheaper and there shipping is cheaper. Heck you may as well pour your own jigs too, might be a long winter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast