Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weedless Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weedless Wonder

My attempt to tie a weedless fly to get at those "big" ones that inhabit the lilly pads.....
    Pat

Another one.............

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weedless

I really like it and will definitely put one together. I've thought about weedless flies for those heavy grass snagging areas. I have tried mono for a hook guard with limited success. This looks like it has some promise.

Is the thorax/abdomen made from...soft plastic?

Thanks for posting this.

Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flymill View Post
    I really like it and will definitely put one together. I've thought about weedless flies for those heavy grass snagging areas. I have tried mono for a hook guard with limited success. This looks like it has some promise.

Is the thorax/abdomen made from...soft plastic?

Thanks for posting this.

Richard
    Richard the body is made out of yarn , wrapped from hook eye to hook bend and then back........ by winding / unwinding you can get somewhat of a "taper " to the body.......... I`m still learning / experimenting........ post some pics of your attempt
    Pat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's a pic of your weedless wonder

Pat, Here's the pic you asked for. I had fun tying your weedless bug, although I did use a different color. It'll be worth a try in those nasty grass beds. I think the wings will need a bit of adjusting for an effective hook set, so I'll make sure to bring along scissors.

When I get a chance, I'll also add a full size image of your weedless wonder to my fly tying page

Again, thanks for posting it.

Name:  Weedless Bug.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  19.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice tye ! I like the colors, you may have to "adjust " the wing length some to get it to sink at a faster rate, I did.What size hook is that? looks much bigger than what I used

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weedless Hook

Thanks Pat,

I used a Mustad Size #4 C52S BLN. The majority of my flies are tied on #8 - #10 hooks, but I had "larger fish" in my thoughts when day dreaming about dumping this down a big hole in the grass. I forgot to ask, what Size hook did you use?

Actually, the wings are much too long, and a tad too wide at the top, and are acting as an "aviators Mae West". It floats nice and high, which my not be all bad for top water. I'll leave this one as it is, and use it for dragging it across the top of the grass beds. The next one will have shorter and narrower wings and I will add some lead wire to the hook shank.

I still like your idea, and I believe this lure will produce very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Flymill
    "I forgot to ask, what Size hook did you use?"

I use 4 -10 too, most on #8 , I`ve caught LM bass with a #8 Clouser

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tied 2nd weedless

Pat,

I tied this one on a 3X long #10 hook. It sinks as fast as any of my 1/32 crappie jigs. I'm out of #8 hooks, as that would have been my choice, but this will work just fine (just a tad smaller.) The foam is 1.5 mm thick. Tail and legs need to be shortened a bit.

Ok on your choice of hooks for most of your flies. As I get older, my choice of hooks tend to get larger. I use mostly #8 -#10 with a #2, #4, and sometimes a #12. Anything smaller than a #12, my eyes and fingers part company.

Richard

Name:  patsweedless2.jpg
Views: 1818
Size:  13.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good ! lead dumbell eyes? what weight you using? I started catching fish after I put a split shot on the line with my surface bugs.......looking forward to some surface action this spring

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dumbell eyes

Pat,

I bought these eyes at Cablela's. A bit expensive, but JoAnn's doesn't carry these. They come in three diffferent weights..mine are 5/32. I'm not aware of their composition.

Ok on the split shot. I do the same when I'm done with top water. I fish with Ross #6 outfit floating forward line. Top water is my favorite, but I'll get off of it real fast if there's no action. Spring is a great time for top water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast