Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spinning Rig ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinning Rig ??

Can someone give me some direction in buying a crappie spinning rig? Will be casting 1/4 oz lures. In the 150$ an under range. that cast great.Thanks for any info. Looking forward to the Fall, Winter crapping fishing here in La.

God Bless
    To get a fish,take your rod. To get a memory take you child.

Post Thanks / Like

Basspro had a line of Float n fly rods for around $40 that are great, but I heard they no longer have them. As for a reel, Hard to beat either a good Shimano or Pfleugar supreme.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Benjo ...

Quote Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
    Can someone give me some direction in buying a crappie spinning rig? Will be casting 1/4 oz lures. In the 150$ an under range. that cast great.Thanks for any info. Looking forward to the Fall, Winter crapping fishing here in La.

God Bless
    What length are you looking for, and what action

Your price range covers just about all the brands, so the choices are vast. :p

On the outside chance that you're looking for a fast taper graphite rod, primarily for casting purposes ... I suggest you take a look at ESP Rods. ESP Rods (Grizzly Jigs also sells them)

Depending on preferred length ... look at the 6'6" Power Lite - 7' Power Lite - 7'6" Med Lite. But, the pictures in the ads of either of the two places I listed, do not show the rod handle accurately. Any rod that's 6' or longer, has a "poodle tail" handle extension. Here's a picture of my 6'6" Power Lite's handle, for clarification :

You may also see references to the handle having VAT ... and wonder what that's all about. VAT is "Vibration Amplification Technology" .... or simply put, it refers to metalic disks around the blank & inside the graphite Tenn Handle. These disks transmit vibrations from the rod tip, thru the blank, and out to the handle ... giving you more sensitivity than you can get through a cork or foam covered handle.

The graphite Tenn Handle & slip rings allow you to position your reel, wherever on the handle it feels the most comfortable to you or balances the outfit best. The fast taper of the rod blanks is for power & distance.

I've fieldtested 3 of these rods ... and they've become my primary rigs. I have a 5'6" UL that I use mostly for close quarters jig casting & dock shooting .... a 6'6" Power Lite that I use for jig casting .... and a 9' Power Jig that I use for vertical presentations or float & jig use.

If you're looking for a softer action (parabolic bend) ... depending on preferred length/style ... you might also consider looking at BnM's 7' Sam Heaton Super Sensitive BNM Fishing (w/cork handle & fixed reel seat). Or you may want to look at the two FnF versions BNM Fishing if you're looking for a longer rod. (8-9-10ft)

I also fieldtested the 8' Duckworth rod (short handle & weight balance system) and found it to be a great rod for it's purpose. I also own a Sam Heaton Signature Series 7' rod (forerunner to the Super Sensitive model) and found it to be a very functional & light casting rod.

The action differences .... parabolic bend vs fast taper :

Parabolic bend rods will bend evenly, in a arch, over the end 2/3 of the length of the rod. This is commonly called a "soft" action. Bend is like a ) configuration.

Fast Taper rods will bend at the upper 1/3 of the rod, and in more of a J configuration. This is commonly called a "fast" action.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite spinning reel is Shimano for $30 at Bass Pro......I use it for small fish and bass fishing......just different lines......

Shimano Syncopate FG Spinning Reels - TackleDirect

I also like Bass Pro rods 6'-0" one piece ML60LS for $45.....excellent action.....it is copper colored.....anything longer is 2 piece which I stay away from.....

good fishing
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Shimano Syncopate FG Spinning Reels - TackleDirect. This is a great reel for the money. I also prefer the Shakespear Ugly Stick rods. You can get two complete setups for your amount of money and still have some left for lures.
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

FYI- BPS still offers the float & fly rods, but at almost $50 are high now. Illinoisgiller