Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Govt banning lead!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Govt banning lead!

I just recieved this e-mail from Janns netcraft (tackle supplier).

Serving Sportsmen since 1941
    Call 1-800-NETCRAFT

Dear Randy:

We are contacting you to help us fight the proposed federal ban on all lead in fishing tackle.

On August 23, 2010, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was petitioned by the Center for Biological Diversity and four other organizations to ban all lead in fishing tackle under the Toxic Substances Control Act. This includes sinkers, jigs, weighted fly line, and components that contain lead such as brass and ballast in a wide variety of lures, including spinner blades, stick baits and more.

A lead ban would significantly add to the cost of fishing tackle. Alternative materials cost from 6 to 15 times more than lead.

The EPA has opened the petition for public comment. Please join us in opposing the ban by sending your comments to the EPA by no later than September 15th, 2010.

It's quick and easy to submit your comment by Clicking Here. Keep America Fishing

Please help protect our fishing rights today.

Good Fishin'
    Dave Jann
    Jann's Netcraft LLC
    Crappie Fishing- Lots of Run...Sun...Fun...Catch a Ton...Or Didn't Get None!

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP! This is a big deal folks. If you want more info, check out the EPA sub topic board that Ed has set up. We have until September 15 to make our voices heard and to oppose the nut jobs who started this with precious little facts to back themselves up. We have a responsibility here if we want our kids to be able to enjoy fishing as we do now.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Emails sent. Back to the top.
    If it wasn't for the last minute I'd never get anything done.

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to be a smart A@@@ but I have been told any list you sighn up for on the PC does not get to the people that they say it will go to. If I am wrong please let me know. Looking forwrord to your response. Have a good one .

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping in mind he is a politician, here is Representative Sam Graves' response to an email I sent through one of the links on this board ..

Thank you for contacting me regarding the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) consideration of banning the use of lead in ammunition and sporting equipment. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

As you may know, environmentalist groups led by the Center for Biological Diversity petitioned the EPA to ban lead bullets and shot as well as lead fishing equipment under the Toxic Substances Control Act. On Friday, August 27, 2010 the EPA denied the petition to ban lead in ammunition, declaring the regulation outside of the agency's jurisdiction. The EPA has yet to decide on the use of lead in items such as fishing sinkers, jigs, weighted lines, spinners, stickbaits and ballast. Such a law would make tackle substantially more expensive for all recreational and commercial anglers.

Recently, House Natural Resources Committee Ranking Member Doc Hastings called this ban a direct "attack on rural America", a claim that I firmly agree with. By nationally mandating non-lead tackle, the EPA is enacting yet another massive power grab at the expense of hunters, sport shooters and fisherman. The ban on lead tackle would also dramatically affect small recreational businesses as lead lures are the most affordable and most popular among fisherman.

Currently, there is no legislation in the House addressing this matter. However, should any be introduced, I will keep your thoughts in mind and vote to protect our fishermen and recreational businesses.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this issue. Please feel free to contact me at (202) 225-7041 should you have additional questions or concerns or visit my website at Congressman Sam Graves :: Representing the People of Missouri's Sixth District :: Home Page for more information.

Sincerely,

Sam Graves
    Member of Congress

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newt View Post
    Not trying to be a smart A@@@ but I have been told any list you sighn up for on the PC does not get to the people that they say it will go to. If I am wrong please let me know. Looking forwrord to your response. Have a good one .

I would say the answer is, "It depends". Certainly there are poorly run petitions that are a bunch of BS. Anything that says, "Add your name to the list and forward it to everyone in your address book" is bogus. No good way to collect those names and no way to ensure that there's not just somebody typing in names out of a phone book. Far cry from signatures, etc.

Sites are popping up all over, though, that are doing more legitimate jobs of this. In the case of this one, all you're doing is putting in your ZIP code and it takes you to a screen where it will automatically e-mail (or you can do printed letters) to your senators and state representative. These are legit.

So...I don't know that it's 100% accurate that anything on the PC is bogus....more of a case by case basis.

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Joedog thanks for your post Newt

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Newt, Joedog and others- The surefire way to be heard is to use the official government comment form at regulations.gov. I've taken the pain out of the process and boiled it down to two clicks, type your name, and whatever comment you want to make. It's easy, fast, and guaranteed to place your comments in the EPA's public record on this proposal. Go to my "Two click comments" thread, here, and you're two clicks away from being heard.
    Fishing since '50!