Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: standard transducer for through hull?

Post Thanks / Like

Default standard transducer for through hull?

Can you use a standard transducer if it is solidly epoxied to the hull?
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should clarify... By through hull I mean mounting the transducer directly to the floor of the boat (on the inside). NOT running the wires through the hull. Solid mounting it in epoxy, will it transmit the signal through the hull?
    Last edited by stumpbumpers; 01-28-2006 at 10:28 PM.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stumpbumpers:

If it has a flat face it should work fine on a fiberglass hull but I don't know about aluminum. It will have to be in an area where there are no bubbles in the fiberglass and you need to make sure you don't get any bubbles in the epoxy under it. I like the angled-puck transducers as they are still shooting straight down when installed in a hull that is slanted as most fiberglass boats are near the front where I have mine. I sure like having a shoot-through-the-hull installation over a TM one. Sooner or later the transducer cable gets damaged when I've had one on the TM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jerry, I didn't think about the aluminum hull.
    Guess that's another question that needs to be answered. Ever since I got the boat I wanted inside, just didn't know if I could. I temporarily mounted it 2yrs. ago on the transom by scuffing it and epoxy, did the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

When I installed my DF, I thought the directions said that type of installation was not recomended because of less accurate views. But, I'm not really sure about this. CEB -

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when I right before I bought the thing I had done the research and found a site that told me exactly what to do...can't find it now. Still don't know 'bout the alum. hull.
    I talked to "the guy behind the counter" BIG help he was... He acted like I's crazy. Bought the thing anyway it's a Garmin 178C(I think) w/ chart plotting tech. Called Garmin they thought I's crazy too, that's why the temporary mount stayed on two years. Still want it inside the boat... That thing is expensive and it ain't covered under insurance. Know y I mean

Post Thanks / Like

Can be mounted on the inside of the hull on fiberglass boat NOT ON alum. hull be sure not to leave any air pockets in epoxy and put some kind of a wt. on top of it to hold it down for the alloted cure time. at least 3 to 5 lb. wt.

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean. On one trip to Lake Conway in AR (one of the stumpiest lakes I've ever seen), I got it hung on a stump and ripped the transducer off of the bracket. A little dab of superglue, and later it was as good as new. Have you tried looking for any different types of brackets for the transducer? CEB -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ceb
    When I installed my DF, I thought the directions said that type of installation was not recomended because of less accurate views. But, I'm not really sure about this. CEB -
    Hey ceb:

Yes, the manufacturers do warn that there may be some reduction in sensitivity when shooting through the hull, which depends a lot on the installation - how solid the fiberglass is where it's mounted and the epoxy job.

I've had very good results in two different fiberglass boats with shoot-through-hull installations but I placed then in areas where the fiberglass was not excessively thick and I sanded the fiberglass down a bit so I could inspect for bubbles by placing a light on the underside and viewing from above. Any bubbles would show up as brighter spots.

Some reduction in sensitivity can be overcome by using a higher sensitivity setting on the graph. I have a Humminbird Matrix 12 with an angled puck transducer shooting through the hull and I can see a 1/16th ounce jig on it. It has very good definition - very similar to the Lowrance LCX17M I have on back of the boat the Lowrance is a lot more expensive unit than the Matrix.

I've heard that (even though the manufacturers don't recommend it) some transducers can be use for shoot-through-hull installations on aluminum boats. You can find out if yours will work before you epoxy it down by putting enough water in the boat so there is no air between the face of the transducer and the hull and then going over known bottom structure and see if you are getting a good picture.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry, I think we are right. I found a good article on complete instructions and considerations on installing DF. This is what the article said:
    "I personally do not use through-the-hull transducers for my LCD units. I like the unimpeded power I receive from outside-the-hull mounts, and properly installed, these units will read even at high speeds. Some boats, I have heard, will not take a transom-mounted transducer due to hull design. So be sure and check with your dealer which mounting is right for your rig." The website is http://www.arkansasstripers.com/depth-fish-finders.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast