Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else ever.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody else ever.....

get high centered on a stump and for the life of you can't get off of it? At the CDC tournament we were no less than 10 times high centered and 1 time it was so bad I had to start the big motor to get off, the TM no matter how high I put it wasn't powerful enough. You guys that fish Truman a lot is this common or am I a moron, lol? I just didn't see any of them I ended up stuck on. It was really pretty aggrivating and probably my biggest complaint about fishing up there.

Seems a little slow so just trying to get some discussion started about something that affected me on my trip to Truman. Any advice on missing them or getting off of them once you're on them?

Post Thanks / Like

Mrs JJ here - Gary is in KC for work/training.

We do occasionally get high-centered - the worse I remember was just this year on the flat in front of Otter Creek - it took forever to get off of the stump - Gary kept circling but I don't think we had to start the big motor. That was the same trip that we saw a boat coming from up the river and they cut across that flat and got stuck on the island there. It is a wonder they didn't hit some stumps as many as there are on that flat.

It seems to be more of a problem as the water gets lower since more of the shorter stumps begin appearing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mrs JJ. I wondered about the lake level. I wasn't sure being inexperienced on Truman what it looked like at normal pool versus being a foot or two high or low. I just knew after 4 or 5 times I was trying to watch for them and most of them I couldn't see or when I did it was too late. I guess the water color and the waves kept me from seeing them very well.

We were fishing up past the U Hwy. bridge and I'm not familiar with names of coves and creeks just yet but there's a almost 180 degree turn in the lake and an island sits out and most of the boats I saw went out around the island and was hugging the timberline it seemed like around this island and I saw one boat that cut the corner shorter than everyone else and KA CHUNK and it just stopped, I thought oh boy bet he's got a hole in the bottom of his boat or a motor hanging on by a few strands of fiberglass but he set there a few minutes and fired it back up and took off again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Even with 30 years of experience

on Truman I get high centered all the time when the lake gets close to normal, usually high on the tm will get me off, but have used the big motor many a time, one time had to have my brother n law pull me off with his boat, now that was a hoot...... kept thinking that dam stump is going to be coming up through the bottom any minute now...... get old Ed to give you a ride sometime if you want the u know what scared out of you........ he is bonified Crazy......... just learn the channels and you will be okay, I probably get high centered out in front of pretty bob more than anywhere else on the lake, that is why I don't fish it much, spend more time gettting off stumps than we do fishing and bitching about them......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure glad my momma wasn't within ear shot of me, especially after the 6th or 7th time. I'm not 100% sure how I didn't end up breaking something with all the ranting and raving going on. Well it makes me feel a little better anyways knowing it's not just me. I'll have to get with Ed sometime and see if he can make the hair, what little I have, on the back of my neck stand up. I'd really like to ride with someone or at least follow them up thru there one time to make sure I have it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Never on truman but cuzz and and got hung up so bad on Grenada we had to get out and push the thing off which aint much fun in march...........things like that are to be expecyed when the lake you're fishin is full of stumps.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Fact of life when the lake level gets towards normal. Reverse trolling motor, moving people's weight around to different spots in the boat, rocking back and forth, if none of that works then its throttle down on the outboard and hope for the best. Boats with a reverse chine bottom (concave or half moon shaped from keel to outside chine) are more prone to get the stump hung in that reversed area. More deep V styles slide off them easier but sit deeper in the water so like most everything else in this world it's a trade off and no perfect solution. Haven't ever been hung on one couldn't get away from. Did get my old beater blown up on a bank when we beached to sit out a storm one time, ask OSS. He says there's at least one new church in the area because of that little episode.
    Last edited by kazualobzerver; 08-17-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Flat bottom aluminum boats tend to get hung up more than the fiberglass. Had a problem high ending a lot with the old duracraft boat.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

radioactive and I got hung up a couple times at the cdc gathering, trolling motor got us off, it's normal.I have been on a stump every trip to truman, well every trip in my boat, drfishjd he knows how to miss them.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel your pain. Ever been to Reelfoot? It can happen often there. A real doozy of a situation, for sure.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast