Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Couple of questions

plainzwalker Guest

Default Couple of questions

Hi, new to this board, as well as new to the Maryland area. I want to get into Crappie fishing, and I probably picked a bad time of the year to start. Went out today and hopefully try fishing with some minnows but the only bait shop in the area is closed for the month of January.

So my questions are....

Anyone ever fish for crappie at Liberty Reservoir in Maryland? If so what lures would you recommend?

I was out at the lake today and noticed that since it's gotten cold this week some ice had started to form on it. Would crappie fishing be essentially dead for this time of the year?

I am thinking of going to BPS to pick up some lures since I can't get any live bait. Since the water is kind of a dark green color, would white/orange/yellow lures be better? Like small rooster tails? I'm not that experienced with jigs, but I've been reading that hooking up a jig to a bobber works good. Any pointers would be great. I have about 3hrs left before BPS closes, so depending on what happens in the next hour I'll decide what to do.

Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs

Hey Plainzwalker, I'd recommend getting some Berkley Micro Baits. I like the Nymphs and have caught good crappie on them. Put them on a jig head nad fish them under a slip bobber. Good luck!!! Here's one that I caught on it this Fall. Let us know how you do!!!

Last edited by Mike Sutton; 01-28-2006 at 07:38 PM.