Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: getting into fly fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default getting into fly fishing

no where near me sells anything so do any of you have any stuff you want to sell ex. rod & reels starter fly kits so on
    "the objective of war is not to die for your country but to make that sorry sob die for his" General Patton

Post Thanks / Like

Order one online. Amazon sells the Scientific Angler starter kits for around $90. You get a rod, reel, line, leader, flies and a DVD. That's everything you need. Bass Pro and Cabelas also sell starter outfits. I recommend BP's Hobbs Creek kit or Cabelas Three Forks kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly Fishing Gear

You can get a good rod and reel right down the road at Sabine Tackle just south of Greenville but I would get my line and leaders from Cabelas or Bass Pro. At least at a local tackle shop you can handle the rods and get the feel you want. Watch out for whimpy slow action fly rods. The will turn you off to flyfishing.

God Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Check out ebay, lots dfly fishing stuff and good deals.

Post Thanks / Like

Wimpy slow action rods? What makes them so wimpy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whimpy slow action ???

A soft butt to mid section of the rod will create a slower action and slow your cast down. For an experienced fisherman this is not a problem. A new flyfisherman tends to want to false cast the rod to death and with a soft action rod will have a large loop in the cast that will usually cause disaster in hooking everything in sight but a fish. A faster action rod will help keep the loops a tighter and more focussed. Look at the amount of the flex in the rod from the mid section to the tip.

Just my opinion, I have only been flyfishing for 40+ years. " But I am still learning new tricks every day"