Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat hook up.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Boat hook up.

I'am looking at putting a back up camera on my pickup for hooking up my boat. I usually fish alone and it's getting harder to wrestle the boat trailer to the hitch. My question is does anyone use a back up camera to hook up there boat, and if you do, what kind is it? thank you. Granite

Post Thanks / Like

Don't remember the brand, but I've got the one from Wal-Mart. I think it might be the V3 brand??? Not sure, but it was the low end model at about $100. Next to the truck, it's about the most useful thing I use for hauling my boat.

Cons
    Screen is small, but so was my budget
    In low light, it can be tough to see very well such as hooking up before daylight. I can turn my shop light on and see, but then that's a trip out of the truck.
    If the sun is low and behind the camera/boat, it can't compensate enough and gets either too light or two dark to see very well.
    In both the bad light conditions, it's still useable, but I go extra slow to compensate.
    Crappy mounting option. It comes with a cigarette adapter for power to the screen, a craddle and a double sided tape sticky thing for the cradle....which would look like crap on the dash. I just leave it in the console above my shifter.
    Can be tough to get the right angle for the camera. I mounted mine on the top of the tag and used the shims to angle it down so I can just see the ball of the hitch. Had to make several adjustments till I got what I wanted.

Pros
    Cheap.
    So Far, durable...been on for about 2 years now
    Handy as pockets on blue jeans. Has saved my bumper in parking lots a couple of times already.
    Camera only comes on when in reverse, monitor stays on all the time. Actually will pick up wireless security cameras from time to time. Kind of weird. There's a spot in Memphis that has traffic cams and when I go by, the monitor kicks on and I can see myself driving by. Freaky....but dang I'm cute.

Go for it. Only idjits don't have one.

Seriously, it's way worth the $100 entry price. If I weren't so lazy, I'd install auxillary lights on the hitch to compensate in low light, or I'll bet if you went with a little better unit, you wouldn't have the issues I do.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the built in camera that came with my truck. It's a Toyota Tacoma. The SR5 package and TRD package come standard with it.
    Last edited by ledouxmike; 07-28-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Same a WANNABE. +1

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think i found what is was looking for.Tadibrothers.com has a 3.5 inch monitor with night vision and a 150 degee camera for $115.oo, sounds easier on the back hooking up the trailer. thanks alot guys. Grainte

Post Thanks / Like

Go to a farm store and buy a drive way marker. You can get them in different lengths. Drill a hole in a board, put the marker in and sit it in front of the hitch. On my topper shell the handle is in the middle of the window, making it easy to line them up. Cheaper than a camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledouxmike View Post
    I use the built in camera that came with my truck. It's a Toyota Tacoma. The SR5 package and TRD package come standard with it.
    I have the same truck, didnt think I would care about the camera, but it has been very useful.

Post Thanks / Like

79.00 Advance Auto all day long....

Post Thanks / Like

I use what looks like 2 antennas with a foam ball on top and a strong magnet on bottom. attach one to the ball and one on top of hitch. line them up back up until one of them moves hitch is lined up almost perfect. available at Harbor Freight for about $10
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast