Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville

Can someone tell me how to tell the differance between white bass boiling the top and just the lake boiling like it has for the last few days.I,m with Monty just to hot to be out right now.
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have a clue what you mean, but I think your saying the lake is so hot the water is boiling, if so just add fish boil,crab boil and some onions and taters and soup is on

Post Thanks / Like

You got it Beagle, sometimes hard to express my thoughts. LOL
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you are referring to about the lake boiling, but I suspect it is methane gas being released from decomposing materials on the bottom. I teased Beagle about it being fish farts:D I never have seen it happen in a large area, or for very long

White Bass will chase shad on the surface making the lake appear to boil and you can usually see their tails flipping just above the surface providing you are reasonably close. They feed for a minute or so to sometimes several minutes before diving deeper or leaving the area looking for another school of baitfish. Last Summer by Table Rock dam I saw probably at least 50 separate schools feeding at the same time! Fish were all around the boat and boiling about every 40 or 50 yards apart. One school was actually hitting the bottom of the boat in their feeding frenzy! I caught and released WAY over 100 in just over an hour and a half that day! They were still busting shad, but I was completely worn out and had a blister on my hand that was holding the rod!
    Found this video on youtube, but most schools I've seen around here are grouped tighter and stir up the water a lot more than the video.

Good luck. Hope you get into a batch of them one day:D

Quote Originally Posted by got crappie View Post
    Can someone tell me how to tell the differance between white bass boiling the top and just the lake boiling like it has for the last few days.I,m with Monty just to hot to be out right now.
    Ham Radio, the original wireless communications

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone catching any on Smithville? Was going to go Sat morning but see no good reports
    Feel the thump, hear the drag.
    "GET IT IN THE BOAT"

Post Thanks / Like

Kc I havn't been out for a week now, been way to hot for me.Hence the thread I started I know about the whites its just way of saying its HOT enuff to boil the water in the lake. Last friday bite was slow you had to hold it in front of them for a long time. Lots of shad it may be more of a minnow bite right now.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Curse this stinking heat!!! I'll take mid 30's any day of the week!

Post Thanks / Like

KCCrappie,

first trip of the year this afternoon and evening (I just got back from Florida, it's doesn't feel that hot here). I fished two of my favorite trees and caught crappie on almost every cast. Probably caught 35-40 with a good 20 being keepers. Most were 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 with one over 11 inches. Not bad for my first trip and I released them all to pay homage for the first good trip. I fished in less than 20 feet of water and caught fish 6 to 8 feet down. Blue and white tube jig, caught most of them on the fall.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great fishing day. Were you main lake or up river? Blue and white? You must be hanging around Birdog. I am starting to like blue and white too. Birdog got me fishing them.
    Feel the thump, hear the drag.
    "GET IT IN THE BOAT"

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a good trip , Jake ! I'm I'll be taking a break from crappie fishing for a while and holding off for cooler fall temps . I'm not into the hot weather fishing unless in fishing topwater first thing in the morning for bass .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast