Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Messed up my Zebco 33

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Messed up my Zebco 33

Some time ago I got this old Zebco at a yard sale for $2. It's sure been a good reliable reel but it's always had a problem casting. It jerks and snags etc.
    To tonite I decided I'd look into that.
    Some-one in it's past life had snagged something, tightened up the drag, and yanked, jerked, and plunged until they bent the Reel a bit, but the big problem was the Snagged line marks in one place on the outer edge of the Reel.

So while I was tugging on the reel to see what held it in, suddenly it popped loose and way out in the dark of my barn I heard something go "tink" as it hit. Mad at myself for my ham handed attitude, I have to go on a hunt for Zebco 33 parts or stores or etc.

I made good use of the time, straightened the Reel, smoothed off the inside and got rid of all the 'catchy' scuffed parts.

Anybody have any help or suggestions of places?
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Post Thanks / Like

zebco reel parts - Google Search

several, if not more, places to get zebco reel parts.

old

Post Thanks / Like

I just try to watch ebay for the older model 33's and I have gotten some good deals over the past few years. I bought 4 old 33 reels for $34 last year and cleaned them and replaced the line. I can tell they will give me many years of fishing and they were already probably 10 years old.

The new combos I saw this year dropped in price to $18 and I saw some at Academy and Wal Mart. I noticed they even have a pink ladys 33 now. However I picked up one of the new 33's in the store and I noticed immediately it was lighter than the old models and it didn't feel as well made. maybe it was in my mind because of the lighter weight but some things like the outer case felt cheap and the button even felt flimsy.
    Again, could just be me though.

Anyway if you dead set on getting parts for a 33 then I found this box of parts for sale:
    Rare NOS Zebco Model 33 Spare Parts Kit Fishing MINT! - eBay (item 360283147144 end time Jul-26-10 09:35:10 PDT)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.
    I went on line too. They don't list the spring I sprang off into the barn as a separate part. And I don't know which 33 I have now that I see they had several different designations.

I used that reel for a year or more and was really dissapointed when it would catch the line and stop a cast short.
    I replaced it with a $3 reel from WalMart and its still working OK.

I had no Idea those 33's were anything special till an old family member told me to get a few of them. I respect his opinion, so I got this old thing out tonite.

I could just kick myself for losing that spring.
    I'm going on a hunt with a big Magnet from a Loud Speaker in the morning. I'll find it if its out where the Magnet can 'see' it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 8-10 old 33 classic ball bearin type reels...was/is my fav reel.
    If I can help you out neway,feel free to pm me & ill try my best to help you out with the missin part(s)!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I got an old coffee can running over with 33's. I've had many of them for many a years now.:rolleyes: The biggest problem I've ever wseen with 'em is the burrs on the aluminum spool causing short casts. I have moved on to mostly all spinningn rels now so they'll just collect dust. I'll still hang onto 'em though...for centimental reasons I guess.:rolleyes::o Good luck finding that pin or spring though.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

they do not make them like they use too. Over the last couple years I had bought a few of them and every one of them had issues with the handle after a few uses. The handle would slip and catch when you went to reel in a fish. I got so disgusted I quit buying them. I hated it too because you could always trust the old 33's for all around fishing and for kids and females that did not know how to use the other kinds. One thing I did notice about 33's though that I think contributed to some of the problems people had was they put too big of line on them and it caused alot more abrasion.

Post Thanks / Like

This morning I went over the barn with a magnet and didn't pick the spring up. It may have been stainless though.

Gaboman I'll take them if you ever want to send them off. Some of them that had the stainless reel can be fixed. The newer aluminum ones are just as well left in the Coffee can.
    You can tell I've been reading a bunch of sites for the last two days eh?

I miss the early Mitchell 300's . I don't know why the French quit on a proven product when they bought the company.
    Like the early 33's the early 300's were great, but gone!

All I need is a spring. I'm sure there's one in Gabby's coffee can too.
    Find one in bad shape Gabby, take that shaft out of the middle, complete with the Spring, and stick it in an envelope headed my way....

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up on Zebco 33 reels. Loved them. Check flea markets for old reels for parts.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thudpucker View Post
    I miss the early Mitchell 300's . I don't know why the French quit on a proven product when they bought the company.
    Like the early 33's the early 300's were great, but gone!
    They're not made anymore, but both are readily available on ebay. You should be able to pick up a nice Mitchell 300 for $50-60. The 33's should be much less than that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast