Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling at LOZ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling at LOZ?

I have trolled with roadrunners with varying degrees of success, but I have never really trolled cranks. Has anyone done it at LOZ, and did you have any success? I was at LOZ this weekend and got out on Sunday morning at about 9:00 and fished for an hour or so and only caught 2 crappie, one of which might have benn a keeper. Admittedly I wasn't trying really hardcore, but it was still surprisingly slow. I did have a few bites that I couldn't connect with, but after my "research" on my dock I'm about 95% sure that they were dinks that either don't take it all the way or just hit the tail b/c they can't get it in their mouth. I am interested to hear from anyone on the trollong, and maybe even what situations you would troll in.

Post Thanks / Like

300 series bandits on the points will do it.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

there is a thread somewhere on CDC on depths of the bandits vs. length of line it is nice to know where your bait is trolling to eliminate water. I do better on crappie at speeds around or a touch less than 1.5mph. using gps and your finder work nicely even better if they are all on one system. I have been working with some trolling spoons to trail a crank. Have had mixed results, now that is warming up nicely my trolling patterns may improve some.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I had never tried them but two weeks ago and i had only boated a few fish in three hours. In the next two hours pulled in over 35 fish using three Bandit 300's. going 1.5 mph. they worked and i was impressed. turned a light day into a good day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Carp View Post
    Mike, I had never tried them but two weeks ago and i had only boated a few fish in three hours. In the next two hours pulled in over 35 fish using three Bandit 300's. going 1.5 mph. they worked and i was impressed. turned a light day into a good day.
    Would you just fish them in areas where you have caught fish before, or on points like Mr. Baker suggested?

Post Thanks / Like

Fished the lake july 5th pulling 300 series bandit crank baits. It didn't take long to catch two limits of crappie and 10 keeper large mouth which I threw back. A 300 series runs a foot deep for every 10 feet of line plus 2 feet. So if you have 200 feet of line your bait is running 22 feet deep.

Post Thanks / Like

What size line and how deep?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tab View Post
    Fished the lake july 5th pulling 300 series bandit crank baits. It didn't take long to catch two limits of crappie and 10 keeper large mouth which I threw back. A 300 series runs a foot deep for every 10 feet of line plus 2 feet. So if you have 200 feet of line your bait is running 22 feet deep.
    Do you pull multiple cranks in rod holders, or just in your hand? I assume you use a stiffer rod like a med action bass stick.

Post Thanks / Like

one crank bait per rod. 10-12 pound test line and let out about 100-120 feet of fine is where they have been. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Carp View Post
    one crank bait per rod. 10-12 pound test line and let out about 100-120 feet of fine is where they have been. good luck
    I assumed one crankbait per rod, the question is if you use multiple rods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast