Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What effect does oil spill have on fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What effect does oil spill have on fish?

Be as smart as you can, but it is always better to be wise than to be smart.

Post Thanks / Like

u cook 'em in oil. what's the problem?
    incognito....... here fishy fishy fishy

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting read, he does mention the chance of an off flavor and smell that could develop in the fish.... mmmmmm 10W30!:p This will put the people off on eating them as quick as anything.

I agree with the part about fish moving away from contaminated water as well, if they're able to swim out of it and the area isn't too large.

What effect does it have on the crustaceans that some of the fish rely on for forage? The shrimp, crabs, and mollusks? I don't think they'll fare nearly as well.

Only time will tell what the true impact of this spill will be, and I can't bring myself to be optimistic on this one. I think it's going to take the Gulf Coast a very long time to heal from this one.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it has an effect on people's perception of fish ever since it started. People come in the market every day and ask the same question...."is this from the gulf???" Seems they didn't know that the ocean right in front of them holds fish as well. But thats how bad it's been seared into people's minds. It used to be "what was caught today?" now its the oil thing. I know I feel blessed every day when I go out and there's not oil washing up on our beaches.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big "E" View Post
    I know it has an effect on people's perception of fish ever since it started. People come in the market every day and ask the same question...."is this from the gulf???" Seems they didn't know that the ocean right in front of them holds fish as well. But thats how bad it's been seared into people's minds. It used to be "what was caught today?" now its the oil thing. I know I feel blessed every day when I go out and there's not oil washing up on our beaches.
    Yeah, that's because even the consumer knows the east coast has been raped and the gulf still has/had a decent fishery until the spill hit!

The currents will bring the oil around to you in due time... your days are even fewer than either of us thought.

Post Thanks / Like

That biologist is working for BP. First the hydro carbos are going to sap the water of oxygen - in two ways - by absorbing oxygen, and by raising the water temp - warmer water holds less oxygen. The lower oxygen is going to make the fish unable to move to clean waters due to lack of energy. And even if the hydrocarbons pass quickly through the fish, that's not the only thing in the water.
    BP and gov have been dumping chemical dispersants into the gulf for months now. Those chemical are toxic! There are very few that aren't, and BP isn't buying those because the EPA, slave to big business, has approved the others that are cheaper.
    I feel bad for all the cleanup workers that are going to get sick over the next couple of months. There are cleanup workers from the Exxon/Valdez spill 21 years ago that are STILL sick. After 21 years. But the chemical levels are within OSHA guideline so its okay. OSHA is another one whose guidelines are set by business' needs to make money over a person's health and safety, just like the EPA...
    TjD

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that the oil will impact fish by first having a negative effect on the bottom end of the food chain, which will eventually affect what there is for the fish to eat.