PDA

View Full Version : How big is to big?

OCWallie
07-07-2010, 09:14 AM
First of all I would like to thank everyone of you for all the imformation about this great fish that I have never targeted before through open water.

I have finely found a honey hole for crappie...However I think they might be a little to big! My question is, do crappie taste not as good the bigger they are?

I got one around 16" yesterday that I let go to spawn again, and I really could of gotten some meat off of it, but it did feel good to let it go.

Thanks again, any inputs are Welcome.

Locator79
07-07-2010, 09:20 AM
A crappie thats to big.........Is like my bank account with to much money. No such thing!!!

Wannabe...
07-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Personally, they taste the same to me. However, the meat will be thicker on a larger fish which alters the texture and, for some, the enjoyment. In addition, a large fish is harder to fillet since the bones of the rib cage are thicker. The perfect size for me and my tastes is about 12 to 13". Luckily for me, I almost never catch anything bigger. :)

Wannabe...

Cane Pole
07-07-2010, 09:58 AM
I agree with Wannabe, but, for different reasons.

Based on facts presented to the West Tn Crappie Club by Tim Broadbent (marine biologist extraordinaire), the average caught fish in Ky lake is between 10 and 12 inches....Besides this, I can't get too many big ones in my Fry Daddy or my George Foreman at a time. I usually have to chop up a lot of big slabs to fit the cooking buckets.

gabowman
07-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Nothing wrong with the taste of the bigger crappie. Theyre unlike most other species of fish as far as their taste. But....letting a 16"er grow another year could help grow off a wall hanging 3 lber.;)

Welcome to the boards.:)

skiptomylu
07-07-2010, 10:58 AM
They are all good and not like catfish that the bigger they are the worse they taste. No worries like that with Crappie at all.

Skip

rocket rich
07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I too like the 10-12 incher's the best... I cut them in two piece's with the rib cage is what we call nibbles while we fry the upper of the backs of crappie. I filet with a manual knife as I like the rib cages too... but I skin with the electric knife if that makes sense???

OCWallie
07-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Makes a lot of sense guys.

Thanks for all the help!

I have been cleanin' fish for a few years and never have cleaned a papper mouth that big.

I found the perfect spot I belive! Got that crappie and 3 Walleye on about 6 casts! Can't wait to get back out, but I had a little problem with my motor fallin off the boat yesterday :eek:

MuskyGary
07-07-2010, 12:05 PM
On big fish I like to chunk them like chicken nuggets. Grandkids like them this way to. They can dip them into ketchup, cheese sauce, ranch dressing, or tatar sauce. Makes for a fun meal!

SteveJ
07-07-2010, 12:24 PM
On big fish I like to chunk them like chicken nuggets. Grandkids like them this way to. They can dip them into ketchup, cheese sauce, ranch dressing, or tatar sauce. Makes for a fun meal!

Just the way my wife does up for frying. She likes the small fish best as she likes um crispy but the big fillets can be cut small too. Carol like the thin belly piece best of all.

jimfish
07-07-2010, 12:35 PM
3lbers 16in + taste just like a 10 in. only theres more of it.

biggerjigger
07-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Im sorry I cannot comment on this topic, I wasnt aware that there were any crappie under 12 inches.

beagle man
07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
jigger that just ain't fair,

eat em all, they are all good.

Hammer Head
07-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Only problem I have with big crappie is you can't get as many in a quart ziploc bag. Hate paying extra for the gallon size.:D

smoothlures
07-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Yep nothing wrong with a big crappie. Never a bad thing to let them go, especially the big ones though!

Eager Beaver
07-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I see that your in In. That 16 incher may well be at the end of it's life cycle. Northern fish don't grow as fast as a Southern fish and a fish that size is several years old, maybe 6 or 7 years old or older. Letting a fish of that size go may be a death sentence to it for the stress that you put it thru just catching it. I agree with the others that there isn't much difference in the taste of a bigger Crappie, unless it is taken from really warm water. jmho EB

Bob # 1
07-07-2010, 05:42 PM

Thanks for all the help!

I have been cleanin' fish for a few years and never have cleaned a papper mouth that big.

I found the perfect spot I belive! Got that crappie and 3 Walleye on about 6 casts! Can't wait to get back out, but I had a little problem with my motor fallin off the boat yesterday :eek:

Where did you say the spot was..........
:D

olduckhunter
07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
First of all I would like to thank everyone of you for all the imformation about this great fish that I have never targeted before through open water.

I have finely found a honey hole for crappie...However I think they might be a little to big! My question is, do crappie taste not as good the bigger they are?

I got one around 16" yesterday that I let go to spawn again, and I really could of gotten some meat off of it, but it did feel good to let it go.

Thanks again, any inputs are Welcome.

oc, i hope we haven't found the same honey hole and being this far apart i don't think we did. i also found a honey hole yesterday. i didn't start fishing for the crappie will late and didn't fish for them long but every one i caught was over a pound. and every one i lost was the same. i'll take my dip net next time but when i got back to the "ramp" i turned them all loose. i just don't care that much for crappie. much rather have bass or bream.

and no, i'll not breath a word of where the "honey hole" is. nary a word. don't even try to guess.

old

shipahoy41
07-07-2010, 07:32 PM
All crappie fillets taste great. My personal preference for keeping is 11-14 inches. Anything else I usually release. I only take home about 15 since it is just the wife and me.

"G"
07-07-2010, 07:34 PM
All crappie fillets taste great. My personal preference for keeping is 11-14 inches. Anything else I usually release. I only take home about 15 since it is just the wife and me.

I see....3 for the wife and 12 for you. :D

feelay
07-07-2010, 07:53 PM
I cut them big ole Grenada slab fillets into finger sized strips and make fish sticks! The kids love them, lots better than store bought.

captcall
07-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Worst crappie I ever ate was good, I dont think how big they are matters. I eat crappie in moderation, as long as there is plenty of it.

blairarnold
07-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Bass, catfish, even walleye can get fishy tasting as they get bigger, but I can't tell any difference in taste between a 3 plus pounder and a 10 incher, and the same thing with bream, though I never have seen a 3 pound bream much less eaten one.

GCD
07-08-2010, 09:38 AM
If C&R feels good, do it! There's nothing wrong with putting the bigger fish back to breed another season... and there's nothing wrong with eating them either if they come from relatively clean water.

TapOut64
07-08-2010, 09:41 AM
I've eaten 16" crappie and they tasted the same to me as a 13"er. My only concern would be if the bigger crappie have a higher toxicity in their system such as higher mercury levels. I've not read any data one way or the other, just something I've wondered about.

rnvinc
07-08-2010, 10:51 AM

Thanks for all the help!

OWCH!!

I'M STEPHEN A CRAPPIE!!
07-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I don't eat anything over about 12" due to the mercury concerns either

Gomer Snerd
07-09-2010, 08:20 PM
oc, i hope we haven't found the same honey hole and being this far apart i don't think we did. i also found a honey hole yesterday. i didn't start fishing for the crappie will late and didn't fish for them long but every one i caught was over a pound. and every one i lost was the same. i'll take my dip net next time but when i got back to the "ramp" i turned them all loose. i just don't care that much for crappie. much rather have bass or bream.

and no, i'll not breath a word of where the "honey hole" is. nary a word. don't even try to guess.

old

Heck, old. If you were gonna be at village creek you shoulda called and I'd a met you.

olduckhunter
07-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Heck, old. If you were gonna be at village creek you shoulda called and I'd a met you.

shhhhh..

old