Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait tanks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait tanks?

I am looking to make a bait tank to keep in my garage so I can keep quite a few minnows on hand. I am trying to keep the cost down, and was looking at using an old stock tank. Has anyone tried this?

Post Thanks / Like

it will work good just change your water ever 2 days and put a top over it
    team member

of the 2011 winners of the c.d.c. lake hartwell fall fest

Post Thanks / Like

Great!!! Thanx for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also reccomend not letting Chatt know your address, it will help keep your numbers up :D

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find a old chest type freezer they work pretty good because of the insulation. The drawback is minnow tanks stink.They smell like dead fish. If your garage is not air conditioned you will be cleaning and throwing minnows away daily. You can save money but it is a lot of work.
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Where I buy an 12 volt aerator reasonable? I have a minnow box in my farm pond and need a aerator to help the oxygen during the summer months.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass pro has them. Runs off boat battery
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

I have been running a bait tank for about 5 months now. Lots of experimenting because you will lose lots of minners. It sounds easy, but keeping them long term is not easy. I increased the size of my tank from 55 gal to 150 gal and it helped a little bit. I like to go get 2-5 lbs of minners every time I stock up. During the summer I lose a few minners a day no matter what. I keep my tank in the shade under my deck. I have two aerators and a recirculating pump/filter, which pumps 325gal/hr. It has activated charcoal. I have tried "cycling" my tank, but it is difficult because of the frequent changing in/out of numbers of minners, which causes spikes in ammonia and other chemicals. I have tried adding chemical additives to combat those problems with little success. The blue stuff, better bait, seems to help some.
    http://kansasoutdoorsman.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Wknd Warrior
    Where did you purchase your pumps? Thanks Bruce, will check on the BPS and Cabela`s units. I was thinking the flowing pump like they use in the bait shops. I can run electricty to the pond, but prefer to use a twelve volt battery.

Post Thanks / Like

I have four or five different pumps: AC and DC powered. Got some at Bass Pro and one at Minnesota bait. Personally, I would use AC. Charging your battery all the time would be a pain.
    http://kansasoutdoorsman.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast