Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Too Late???

Post Thanks / Like

Question Too Late???

I've fished the Hayward and Chetek areas sporadically over the years from 1977-2001 and always caught fish no matter what lake I was on. Due to changing plans I have the week of Oct 16-23 open and am considering either a road trip or a week in a northwoods cabin doing some fishing. Is that week too late and am I begging the weather gods to make me sit in the cabin and read a book all week or is decent fishing still available as far north as Hayward at that time?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about October, but we go up in that general area in mid September and always seem to do well. give it a shot the worst that can happen is some well deserved peace and quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

Fall (Sept to ice) is feeding time and always good. When skim ice appears along the shore fish will be schooled or grouped. Pre-spawn, spawn is always good and post spawn its a "hunt for" period. In fall the fish keep a better pattern because they will be on the feed. Guys always talk about 1st ice being hot, its really during the late part of fall when it gets hot. Bundle up and suck the ice off the rod rings in the fall. You will always catch larger fish. All in all, no sweat for Oct. from my experience, and I'm still using a flyrod!

Post Thanks / Like

In the Hayward area the crappie would probably be schooled up in the deeper water at this time. Lake turn over more than likely has occurred. The walleye fishing is normally improved. You are correct about the weather conditions being a factor. I try to keep some information on Try Your Fishing Skills In Wisconsin Lakes and Rivers about two local lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I go up just north of Butternut, WI grouse hunting about that time of year and the weather has been unseasonable warm the past few years. Maybe I should take my fishing gear as my back up plan. I would go up and take the chance on fishing, IMHO time in the woods is always better than time in the car, but I am a home body that way and like the solitude. Have fun and let us know how it turns out if you go up there.