Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing in Maryland???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing in Maryland???

I know this is the PA crappie board, but I was wondering if anyone had any input as to the crappie fishing in Maryland. Might be moving up to the Baltimore area and Google maps show a few reservoirs: Loch Raven, Liberty, and Pretty Boy. Got hooked on this crappie fishing down here in NC and am hoping the fishing is good in MD too... Sounds like there might be a few Walleyes and Smallies also?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know much about fishing any of those reservoirs but have seen them all and hunt around prettyboy. Tuxdaddy is a forum member from PA who used to live in MD and knows all about some crappie fishing down that way. i havent seen him post lately, but hopefully he'll check this out sometime and give you a response.

plainzwalker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tjack
    I know this is the PA crappie board, but I was wondering if anyone had any input as to the crappie fishing in Maryland. Might be moving up to the Baltimore area and Google maps show a few reservoirs: Loch Raven, Liberty, and Pretty Boy. Got hooked on this crappie fishing down here in NC and am hoping the fishing is good in MD too... Sounds like there might be a few Walleyes and Smallies also?

Thanks!
    I just started getting my fishing stuff together since I moved to maryland. I've made a couple of trips out to Liberty to look around. I've been told that liberty is a great place for all types of fish with a couple places really good for crappie year round. I called a bait shop in Reistertown and found out that they are actually closed for the month of january, but it's a good thing since he hasn't been able to get any minnows lately. I'm thinking of talking my wife into letting me go shopping for some more lures and such so I can go fishing next weekend if the bait shop still doesn't have any minnows.

If you go to a BPS (only place I've found so far that sells it) they have a Maryland Anglers magazine that comes out every so often. It lists all the major fishing areas in maryland.

dubljay Guest

I fish in liberty reservoir and have caught many types of fish there (Bass, crappie, trout) but my specialty is the crappie, they are alot of fun and plentiful in Liberty, there is a fish number that you can call all year long with weekly updates (410-247-fish or 3474), its run by a local store called "Clyde's sporting goods", the information is pretty accurate and tells what type of fish are being caught, where they are being caught, and the best baits that are being used for catching them, as for as Prettyboy and Loch Raven go I have not experienced these reservoirs so I'm not sure how good the fishing is there, but I've heard it's at least equal to Liberty which is pretty good.

One exception is the winter crappie, I tried my hand at trying to fish from the Nicodemus bridge this past weekend, man they are stubborn in the winter, some of the other anglers were having some limited luck, guess I wasn't using the right bait / technique to hook em.

Hope this was helpful....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for all the replies...

Hey dubljay-

Sounds like you fish Liberty pretty often? What kind of fishing pressure does it get? I don't mind lakes that are busy, but would rather avoid being able to walk across the lake, from boat to boat...

Thanks for the info.

dubljay Guest

Thumbs up Not crowded at all......

I've only fished from the banks and there was usually no one is sight, I bought myself a boat this year and applied for the proper permit (which will be arriving shortly, I HOPE) so as far as the boating on Liberty I can't give you an answer as this will be my first time. The bank fishing has been pretty good, what I usually do if get a local map of Howard County, it shows the coves of Liberty and what roads lead down close to the reservoir and I'll take a weekday and go exploring to see what parts of the reservoir I can get to and scan out what might be a good fishing spot, mark it on my map and come back on the weekends (the only time I have to fish) to try out the new spots. Hope this helped.

Post Thanks / Like

Any nice slabs in liberty?

dubljay Guest

Default Some decent size slabs...

I've caught 6-8" on average every time I go out. My dad caught a 15" citation from liberty so they are definately there.