Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling motor on boat no title

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor on boat no title

I read that I do not need a title on a jon boat under 12 foot without a motor. Does that include a trolling motor? I would hate to get this 10' and put a trolling motor on there and get a ticket.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you what they would say in Alabama a motors is a motor is a motor then write you a ticket.

Post Thanks / Like

Directly from the Mo Dept of Revenue's website

Boats/Vessels that are NOT required to be titled or registered in the state of Missouri if they are:
    •Owned by out-of-state residents and housed, stored, or operated in the state of Missouri for less than 60 consecutive days;
    •Owned by the United States Government;
    •From a country other than the United States using the waters of this state for less than 60 consecutive days;
    •Propelled solely by paddle or oars (regardless of length);
    •Sailboats or sailboards less than 12 feet in length; or
    •A ship's lifeboat used solely for lifesaving purposes.

Id say that you need to title/register it.
    Remember, its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Post Thanks / Like

if it is used on a navigated water, it needs numbers. In fact I know guys who got tickets on duck boats that did not have numbers in the MDC marshes. Thus I have come to believe its easier and cheaper just to register it

Post Thanks / Like

number 4 on the list, if not propelled no title, I ran one for long time no motor of any kind, never got bothered, sold it to Buzzy, you don't need numbers if you dont have a motor of any kink, canoes are a good example, paddle boats. but you do have to have a P F D

Post Thanks / Like

I know they have changed the trolling motor thing in the last few years, i have one in my garage with a sticker on it, and now they don't need one. by the wat if any one needs a small trolling motor i think it's a 30 something thurst let me know would love to get out of my garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling motors used to be titled in Missouri just like any outboard but they changed the laws,,,,hmm, maybe early 2000's somewhere as I recall, was done to accommodate the Wal Marts, Bass Pro's, and whatever else of the world that sell trollers retail and mail order. If understand correctly, any boat used on navigable waters, including streams, must be titled and registered.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 9' pond hopper with a trolling motor and I did not register it and got a $250 ticket just this spring at Concordia Lake. He told me that he could have even taken my boat tell I had proof of registration. I was a pain in the but because it only took about $100 to register it an it would have saved me some money. I did how ever frame the ticked and have it hanging on the wall.

Post Thanks / Like

MO is gonna get his money, one way or ANOTHER!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

It's against Mo law to sell a boat with out a title, check it out this is no bull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast