Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: spinner blade

Post Thanks / Like

Default spinner blade

I like to troll/long line and fan cast with small spinner baits for a variety of panfish. I assemble my own with the makings from the local Wal-Mart. The question is do the blade sizes and color make that much difference? I normally pickup the size "0" silver. I notice they come in gold and silver plus sizes 1, 2 & 3. The advantages and disadvantages has me curious. Any info or suggestions is appreciated. I fish the lakes and rivers in North Central Florida.

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well,the brass are good for vibration in stained water and nickle better reflection in clear water.I like to use larger blades then most.They make a lot of noise,but for me is because our lakes around me are full of largemouth bass.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In my box when I lived in Central Florida, was an assortment of sizes and finishes. Chrome, gold, hammered,colored, ridges cut in them, and so on. I caught fish on them all at different times and conditions. The so called new salt water spinnerbait for Reds in salt water is nothing more than a bigger version of what you buy at wally. Been used in Mosquito lagoon for years by those in the know. Time on the water is the best teacher for these. Snags cause fits when trolling these, and knowing where to avoid is key, as is knowing how to get as close as possible to that snag where they live. Bluegill like a fast tight vibration, Warmouth like a little slower and bigger and tighter to the cover.Crappie will hit a 1/2oz spinnerbait when bass fishing so you'll have to experiment til you find the sweet spot and size and color. Wish I could streamline it a bit but that is the best I have to offer. The nickle size blades and a1/8 oz lead head and curl tail worked well for the bass for me, and sometimes faster troll speed is better. A stick on eye will sometimes turn a dud bait into a real winner.Tight lines......
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I've always had better luck with the #3 spinner in silver for bream,bass and crappie.

Right now I'm throwing a #3 spinner,1/16 jig head and a 3 in. black/blue curly tail,no problem catching.

Don't be fooled in thinking that the breams mouth are to small for large baits,I throw back alot of small bream when useing 3 and 4 in. curly tails,1/16 and 1/8 jig heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments. It's time for some trial and error.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone correct me if I am wrong but don't the colorado blades create more lift causing them to ride higher than the willow type blades. Also a double spinner causes more lift than a single. A single skinny blade will stay deeper than a more round larger blade or blades. May just be common sense to everyone but I thought I would throw that out there.
    nothing beats time on the water

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is very true wish4fish,but it gives a lot more vibration and water displacement,too.I use a heavier spinnerbait when I want more vibration and deeper penetration for a bait.And all my tandem blades are with 3/8 oz spinnerbaits.
    "Garden Hackler"lol