Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pet Crappies

Post Thanks / Like

Question Pet Crappies

Anybody have any experience keeping Crappie, Perch or Bluegill in aqauriums??
    I know bluegill are aggresive, I believe they are related to cichlids and therefore they probably would fight if you kept too many together.

Would it be possible to keep a couple Crappie or perch in a 55 gal tank??

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard it is hard to keep crappie alive that way, but it can be done. bream are very easy. I use to have a huge gill in an old garbage can and it lived in there for a long time until the dogs turned it over.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a pet big shellcracker in the garden goldfish pond at a time. This was when I was P.J 35's age and had no car nor driver's license. I fed it my left over worms or bread crusts from my friends' sandwiches. One day I was hungry and no food in the house. That shellcracker turned into a Mickey D's feesh sammich mirage that was swimming around and around. I ate that bugger between two slices of bread with a Kraft single
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

I have a crappie in an aquarium right now, along with a couple Bluegill, and some Koi.

I just took that pic this morn.

Problem is, you have to feed the Crappie live minnow. Otherwise does not eat. This is the guy I've been experimenting with on with all my fish scents. I can get him to eat dead bait, but I have to scent it, and move it along on a hook less jig, for him to eat.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

I threw a small crappie in with my cichlids once and it died almost immediately.. I think they do not like the same kind of water.. I THINK the cichlids like the water more acidic? I can't remember got rid of my tank a couple years ago... I do know that now I don't have a tank I want one..