PDA

View Full Version : Weather check before you go fishing

APKape
06-19-2010, 09:52 PM
I wanted to put out a post on how we all check the weather before we go fishing. It's always great to get everyone input on the different ways we do things. I check two websites the National Weather Service (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Kansas+City&state=MO&site=EAX&lat=39.0904&lon=-94.5837) and our local station Channel 9 (http://www.kmbc.com/weather/grid.html#HEARSTWX=http%3A//www.kmbc.com/weather/16241998/iframe.html%3Fqs%3D%3Blongname%3DRadar%3Bshortname %3DRadar). I think the National Weather Service has a pretty accurate forecast. And, I liked the interactive map on Channel 9 to see where and when the storms are going to be. So, what do you guys do to check for the weather?

moriver
06-19-2010, 10:26 PM
I use the Nation weather service also but some other methods if you have a smart phone are checking the weather when your on the water via phone and you can even get set up so if you have Watches or Warnings for a set area they will send your phone a text message or e-mail. I use both and have still got wet. :(

mduncan62
06-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Weather.com for me. It's 50/50 though. If it says no wind for Smithville, there's usually rollers coming down the lake.

beagle man
06-20-2010, 09:03 AM
weather underground is pretty good, but like mduncan said they will say light wind and get to stockton and well it is a sail boat lake after all, I also look at ky-3 24/7 weather it's on the antenna, not dish. and I carry a weather radio also

kingkrappie
06-20-2010, 09:10 AM
weather channel at home, Accuweather app on the iphone while on the water, like moriver said you can set it to alert you for whatever you want, i just use the radar mostly but it's saved my butt a few times.

TnRidge
06-20-2010, 09:52 AM
I use weather.com and weather underground for online forecasts prior to fishing and hunting trips. I'll try to catch Katie Horner on Channel 5 on TV the day before a trip .
For hunting , I like weather underground because of the more detailed hour by hour forecasts with wind direction .

Pole Bender
06-20-2010, 09:57 AM
I like weather underground and use the smartphone site with forecast and radar.

rlsiv
06-20-2010, 10:25 AM
We use the Weather Channel app via BlackBerry pda when we're on the water.... great live radar - gave us enough warning last saturday to get the wife and kids moving and had the boat back on the trailer before all heck broke loose with a storm front that moved through.

hothead
06-21-2010, 08:30 AM
I use My-Cast weather app on my phone. Its usually pretty accurate, and I can watch live radar

TnRidge
06-21-2010, 11:34 AM
We use the Weather Channel app via BlackBerry pda when we're on the water.... great live radar - gave us enough warning last saturday to get the wife and kids moving and had the boat back on the trailer before all heck broke loose with a storm front that moved through.
I used mine this morning on the water . I saw storms moving in and checked the radar . They were a ways off on the radar , but the wind kicked up and I decided to bail before they moved in too close. Better safe than sorry .

bwillaub
06-21-2010, 11:58 AM
I usually just wet a finger and stick it up in the air. Can't believe the weather guessers anyways.

kazualobzerver
06-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I usually just wet a finger and stick it up in the air. Can't believe the weather guessers anyways.

What did your wet finger tell you last weekend when you was hiding behind some willows? :D

bwillaub
06-21-2010, 12:05 PM
What did your wet finger tell you last weekend when you was hiding behind some willows? :D

I musta wet it with the wrong stuff. :D Some things work better than others.:eek:

C N
06-21-2010, 12:05 PM

Kaz is on a roll!

You go, sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

kazualobzerver
06-21-2010, 12:08 PM
I musta wet it with the wrong stuff. :D Some things work better than others.:eek:

Not touching that one, I was shocked at the Frosty's Dual Dude post. :D

bwillaub
06-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Not touching that one, I was shocked at the Frosty's Dual Dude post. :D

That shocked me as well. Twins are a wonderful thing ;), but I don't think I would have liked to be one of two.