Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noodle fishing/hook question.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Noodle fishing/hook question.....

When setting out noodles with live bait (large minnows or small bream) what is the best type hook--a circle hook or a regular shaped hook???? What size do you prefer--4/0, 5/0, 6/0 or bigger????
    I have used both types of hooks in the past, but have never used a circle hook with live bait. It looks like to me a live bait could move around easier on a regular hook because of the shape of it, but I don't know. Anyone have any opinions????

Post Thanks / Like

its illeagle to use live bait here on a noodle or trot line limb line or any thing esle like that in a public water way. But in a large farm pond we use treble hooks on noodles with all baits.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a 4/0 circle hook.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought noodleing was using your hands to reach in a hole and catch the fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    I thought noodleing was using your hands to reach in a hole and catch the fish?
    I think duck is talking about useing pool type "noodles" for floats instead of jugs.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ok I did'nt think about that !

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like to me a live bait could move around easier on a regular hook because of the shape of it, but I don't know. Anyone have any opinions????

I know the musky fishermen use rubber washers( made from innertubes) above and below their livebait on quickstrike rigs to keep their giant minners on the hook. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a circle hook for cats.

I've never noodled or jug for cats ( but I'd like to try) But without a circle hook wouldn't all or most of the fish that you release die anyway from swallowing the regular hooks????

Post Thanks / Like

most fellas juggin around here use circle hooks because when a cat hits, the steady pull is ideal for circle hooks. we usually hook our gills through the nose or back with a 4/0 circle for flats, a sive bigger for cutbait and blues. this almost always hooks the cat in thecorner of the mouth. dont cheap out on hooks, buy stainless hooks that are chemically sharpened.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never noodled or jug for cats ( but I'd like to try) But without a circle hook wouldn't all or most of the fish that you release die anyway from swallowing the regular hooks????

What are you talking about "fish that you release" what is that???
    Last edited by Harold; 06-16-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    THE Nimrod Kid

Post Thanks / Like

They don't usually take the time to get the bait in their gullet before they put pressure on and then they've already been hooked.

They just grab it and go.

I don't do it a lot but the fish that I have gut hooked on a jug or limbline with standard hooks have been few and far between.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast