Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How big is a trophy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How big is a trophy?

just curious as to how big a crappie has to be before you will put her on the wall. i've yet to have one mounted. i've been holding out for a 16 inch or better, but i caught a beautiful 15 inch black that i'm considering. thanks.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

It's whatever you want it to be! I've caught a few that I've considered mounting (16 3/4", 2+ lbs), but I'm still holding out for the big one - 3 lbs or better!
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ok

Crappie made for eating. Bass made for mounting.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default A real trophy

follow the link: http://www.fishingminnesota.com/foru...b=5&o=&fpart=1

If you can catch a fish this big??? you can catch anything
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess a lot of people would have had this one mounted. 3.1 lbs and 17.2" but I ate it. I'm just not into mounting fish. Unless I get a new state or world record I might consider it. I just think it cost to much for something to hang onthe wall. I'd rather use that money for some more fishing gear. :D I did have it registered for a state citation and thats good enough for me.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

For me I'm not much for storing dead stuff in the house. The joy I get from catching a big fish remains in my mind and I don't need to see a significantly degraded copy hanging from the wall. I've caught more 3+ plus crappie than I can remember and most of them went back in the water. The biggest crappie I've ever caught was a 19 black crappie from chautauqua lake when I was 11 yrs old. At the time I was impressed, but had no idea that after catching several 10's of thousands more that I would never catch another closer than 2 inches shorter. I took that one home and ate it. lol oh well. Today, I would attempt to keep it alive and donate it to a bass pro or someplace where people could see it live.

My rough estimate, being that it was a spring female black full of eggs, is that it could very well have been over 4lbs. The CrappieUSA, Charles Clark crappie was over 18 inches long with a 16 inch girth and set a new all time record for them at 4.19 pounds - they say its a white, but it looks like a black to me. Considering that mine was a black and that inch for inch blacks outweight whites who knows how big it was. Since then the largest I've caught is right at 17 inches, and I've had several of them.

The only fish mount that I would ever consider having is one I saw in a tackle shop in Erie Pa. It was a stringer of mounted fish that hung from the ceiling to the floor. Must have been a dozen or so fish all over 2 lbs. It was impressive. If I ever caught a state or world record I might have a fiberglass mount made. They look better anyways. I'd rather have a good pic of a nice live fish than a mount.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

IBNFSHN tell us about your rod holders. Is that pvc pipe cut out to make those?

Post Thanks / Like

The next one I catch over 3lbs. have caught 2 that size but they ended up in the frying pan. Where ever you live 3lbs is a big old slab.

My 2 cents worth.
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know you've heard it before.....the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. If you decide to mount a 1 and 1/2 or a 2 lber then that is fine. Your lake may never produce you a three pounder so if you want something pretty on the wall pick what you'd be proud of. That is your trophy.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Well for me I sure would like to get a 3 pounder but as of yet I haven't come close. We have two fish on the wall my 2 sons caught on our very first trip to Reelfoot Lake that weighed 2.25 lbs each. I had them put on a piece of driftwood. I sure do enjoy looking at those crappie and remembering our great fishing trip . Now they're grown they just don't want to fish with me anymore. They always have something else to do! Oh well maybe they will come to thier senses!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast