Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fill a level wind reel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to fill a level wind reel?

I just bought 6 Magda Pro MA 15dx reels from franks. And I don't want to waste to much Power Pro. Could one of you tell me what type of backing line I should use, and how much?

The Power Pro is 4 diameter/ 15 test High vis yellow.

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I always just use the cheap rolls of bulk line that walmart sells. I leave enough room to add about 150-200 yds of good ine at the top of the spool (depending on what youre using the reel for). A full spool lets line out better than a half full spool.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't think it's a waste to spool the whole reel with one line, the beauty of super braids is that you can turn the line around on your reel after a year or two.

I tried backing a while back and did not like it, after you break off a couple of times... there's your uni-knot staring you in the face and messing up your casts.

Don't be such a tightwad, filler up with pp!

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. But at 4lb diameter that would 500 yards? That is $50.00 for a reel!

Man its got to be cheaper than that...lol:D

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was spooling and it took 500 yrds to fill it, I'd put 300 yrds of cheap stuff and then 200 yrds of the good stuff. Doesn't matter if you turn the line around or not, putting 500 yrds of PP on a crappie reel is just a waste. Just my 2 cents.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto what fatman said. I've got some of those reels & I used 10lb Stren, when I have to re-spool, I'll do it like that.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    If I was spooling and it took 500 yrds to fill it, I'd put 300 yrds of cheap stuff and then 200 yrds of the good stuff. Doesn't matter if you turn the line around or not, putting 500 yrds of PP on a crappie reel is just a waste. Just my 2 cents.

Fatman
    True... but any reel that holds 500 yds of 4 lb. test isn't really a Crappie reel in my opinion!... might as well get a 3/0 Penn Senator and load it up with 15 lb test and go Crappie fishin' with it eh?!!!

The lighter the tackle, the more braggin' rights you have!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of Diawa SG27LC reels for Striper fishing. They take a bunch of line to fill them up. So I use electrical tape to fill the spools at least half full before I put the line on. That saves BIG BUCKS over time.
    Politicians should be required to wear their corporate sponsors uniform like NASCAR !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    True... but any reel that holds 500 yds of 4 lb. test isn't really a Crappie reel in my opinion!... might as well get a 3/0 Penn Senator and load it up with 15 lb test and go Crappie fishin' with it eh?!!!

The lighter the tackle, the more braggin' rights you have!
    Most people use these reels for pulling crankbaits. No casting involved. Crappie aren't really known as great fighting fish, so I don't think there is a point in bragging about landing one on 2lb test. It's about using heavy line to keep from losing $5 baits, and boating lots of fish.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    Most people use these reels for pulling crankbaits. No casting involved. Crappie aren't really known as great fighting fish, so I don't think there is a point in bragging about landing one on 2lb test. It's about using heavy line to keep from losing $5 baits, and boating lots of fish.
    Ditto''''''
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast