Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: cows laying down and fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default cows laying down and fishing

I've always thought that cows sitting or standing deal is a wives tail. If a cow feels like sitting, it sits. How does this affect the fishing? Is there any science behind this? Someone fill me in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDon View Post
    Headed down to Coal Creek today with my Dad. On the way out of Coweta, I noticed a pasture full of cows and they were all laying down. Just outside Haskell, there was a pasture and about half the cows and all the horses were feeding.

"Hmmm...getting better I thought."

(BTW, do Horses count?)

Just this side of Checotah, another pasture had about half the cows laying down and half standing. "Okay, half of these cows are lying to me" I thought.

Put in off the old Hwy at CC road. Was fishing a little after 9. Noticed the water was muddier than I remembered and a lot lower than it was the last time I was there a week and half ago.

My dad caught the first one on minnows and then I put several in the boat using 1/4 oz Crappie Pro Jig heads with Blk/Pnk Yum beavertails and 3" BG Slab Slayers in Cajun Cricket.

The wind picked up but the bite never did. It seemed the fish were scattered good. We'd pick a few up on the bank and a few out in 6 fow fishing 2 to 4 ft down.

Ended the day at 2 p.m. with 12 average (3/4 lb to 1 1/4 lb) Crappie and one legal black bass. Caught about that many more smaller (less than 10") fish.

Had real fun trying to load the boat in the wind in that cove, but figured that would happen anyway.

Water temp went from 60 in the morning to 65 in afternoon. Did find one cove that had 68 degree water, but only picked up a couple small males in there. Half the fish were females.

On the way home, I saw no one at the Rock Creek ramp (the one you can see from the Hwy) and only 5 at the Crowder Park ramp. No one was at the culvert. Not sure but it seems something has them slowed down. The wind, the approaching front, the lake being lowered or the cows...I dunno!

So now I'm just trying to figure out which cows were lying. The ones laying down or the ones feeding? :D
    I can eat sitting down or standing but have never tried while laying down. I suspect the "feeding" cows where lying if you didn't catch many. :D

I've heard of this before but I beleive it's a wives tale.

Post Thanks / Like

ROFLMAO, yeah, I've always thought it to be more myth than fact. But since there was a previous thread on it, I thought I'd give a Cow laying/standing report as well...:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eufaula boy View Post
    Hello, yes the old highway is a good place to launch. We Launched there today and fished the coal creek area. Had 40 iin 6hrs. The bite was good this morning but slacked off towards mid-day. Good fishing! EB
    I like to see those cows laying down..... on a big plate next to a baked potato!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default lying cows

OkieDon,

It sure is easy to yank people's chains, isn't it?

Meatdragger- Add some sour cream and butter with the potato and steak and I am with you.

Peke