Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boat motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default boat motor

just got around to getting the boat ready yes alittle late but anyway. found some oil laying under the motor looks like from the lower unit. how bad is this. I had it winterized at a boat place but being new to fishing they dont change out oil. My fault I guess should have ask. Is this going to be bad. any opinions would be welcome.But please nothing like stupid or idiot. thanks for all help

Post Thanks / Like

u can take it to a shop and they'll charge you to put a new gasket on but my ole shade tree mechanic has assured me its normal especially after being set up, mine leaks a little out of the lower unit and its fairly new, but some second opinions from some of these guys will couldn't hurt.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

First of all find out where the oil is coming from. It sounds like you need new gaskets in the lower unit but hard to tell unless you know where the oil is coming from. You did not say the oil was milky so no water in it yet which is a good thing. If it is coming from the lower unit I would take it in and have new gaskets put in and have the water pump put in while it is there and you will be good to go. Cost me a little over $100 last time I had mine done.

Post Thanks / Like

like Pole Bender said you did not say the oil was milky.....which indicates it could have water in it.

I would try to feel around the lower unit to see if oil or lube is running down the sides anywhere. Just where is the source? Is it oil or lube?

Most likely it it just around the lower plug. Is the plug tight?

Check the 2 plugs to see if lower unit lube (oil) is coming from one of them, usually the lower one. If it is coming from the lower plug, I would replace the gasket for the plug. The gasket shouldn't be very expensive to replace....hopefully less than $5. call a marine dealer to get the correct gasket.

Although I don't always do it, I was told it was a good idea to replace lower unit lube before winter storage. That eliminates any chance of water being in the lower unit, freezing and cracking it, which then would be costly to repair. Milky lube could mean water is getting into the lower unit.

Your comment "I had it winterized at a boat place but being new to fishing they dont change out oil" is most concerning. Whether it is outboard motor oil or lower unit lube, there is something wrong with a dealer who doesn't know how to change it, but can winterize your boat........perhaps you misunderstood the dealer.

good luck,
    Last edited by Musky Bob; 05-17-2010 at 06:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine started leaking a little about a month ago when I changed my lower unit lube. It is coming out of the weap hole above where lower unit bolts on, I checked both plugs and the bolts holding the lower unit and all were tight. Checked lower unit lube, it was not cloudy and not low on lube. I figured I over filled my lower unit, is that possible? I was going to get it checked out this week. Any suggestions on a good shop, I'm at Peculiar so I can go towards K.C. or south towards Clinton.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how you can over fill the lower unit.....both plugs are removed and the lower unit is filled from the bottom hole until the lube flows out the upper hole.

A friend likes the dealer in Harrisonville. I'd call and talk to someone before taking it anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

probably leaking around the prop shaft seal. Bad thing is if oil can get out water can get in. i had to have mine conpletly resealed. Prop shaft seal, drive shaft seal, and had them put in a waterpump while they were there. Over $ 500 total.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dads grill View Post
    just got around to getting the boat ready yes alittle late but anyway. found some oil laying under the motor looks like from the lower unit. how bad is this. I had it winterized at a boat place but being new to fishing they dont change out oil. My fault I guess should have ask. Is this going to be bad. any opinions would be welcome.But please nothing like stupid or idiot. thanks for all help
    What kind of outboard and what color is the "oil"? If it is black it could be from the fogging oil or if it is a 2-stroke, oil from the exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like

should i fire my mechanic??? you guys are making me nervous, i've had a little oil that leaks out of mine for a few years now, like i said he told me he could sell me a new gasket, but it really wasn't necessary??? is this bad info?
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Anglers Port on 7 hiway towards Warsaw from Long shoal. Good people!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast