Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spring Squirrel Season

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spring Squirrel Season

Saw an article earlier about a spring squirrel season here in LA. First I'd heard of it, so thought I'd share in case anyone else here chases em. I believe it said it runs until almost the end of May.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, they started doing the Spring season a few years ago. I was told the purpose of the spring season is because of the overpopulation of squirrels. My oppinion is more people are now Bow hunting deer during the time they used to squirrell hunt. (that's what happened to me) As for the season, it only runs for 3 weeks this year. it ends on the 23rd. But something that alot of people, mostly teens around here overlook is that the bag limit it 3 during the spring season instead of 8 like the normal season. I went this evening for about 20 minutes, killed 1 squirrel and right after I killed 2 snakes, one of them being a copperhead that I walked by 3 times before I seen it. It was about 18 inches long and coiled up on the edge of a trail I was on. I decided it was safer at home. Basically what I am getting at, is if you go, WATCH FOR SNAKES. They are more plentiful this time of year compared to the winter season.
    Here is the link for wildlife and fisheries hunting dates.
    http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting...dentsmallgame/
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny, you are so right about the snakes right now. A few weeks ago we were at the camp cutting grass and my son and another boy were playing all around the house. 30 minutes later we walked outside and found a copperhead about 2 feet long right where the kids had been playing. And a little girl we know got bit by one on her foot out behind her house not long after that. In retrospect....I'm thinking forget the squirrels! They're not worth the risk!

Post Thanks / Like

I heard it was an opportunity to introduce more youngsters to hunting when nothing else is going on. With a limit of only 3, I used my 22 rifle to even the odds, LOL. It sure is hard to break away from fishing this time of year tho.

Post Thanks / Like

went and worked on the hunting lease this last weekend and i never saw a one snake. but i did see about 40 rabbits and about the same in turkeys. i have ran over more snakes in the road going to work than i have seen around the house or the lease.