Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 2 questions: livewells/"shooting the docks"

pugman30 Guest

Default 2 questions: livewells/"shooting the docks"

I kinow what is meant by "shooting the docks" but have never seen it done and was wondering if some one could enlighten me on how it is done. I am not really ignorant to crappie fishing but until I found this site, I knew of only one way to crappie fish, vertical and very few jig fishing techniques..

Also, I am in the process of making an old ski boat into a real boat and was wondering if anyone had plans for building a livewell or is it best to use cooler w/aerator attached? Thanks for the info , pugman
    Last edited by pugman30; 10-09-2004 at 09:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about it being the best but a cooler turned livewell works real well. That's what I use on my boat. I have a 1 1/8 line run into the back of the cooler to fill it and a pump mounted on it to recirculate or empty it. Takes about 1 minute to remove from the boat if needed.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Pug ...

"shooting" a dock is a method whereby one uses the rod/reel/line more as a "slingshot", than as a catapult. When casting - one catapults the lure through the air, by rapidly moving the rod thru the air and letting go of the line at the optimum moment ... when "shooting" - one does not move the rod, but moves the bait and releases it.
    Take your spinning outfit in hand and allow the line, with the jig tied on the end, to hang about 1/2 to 1/3 of the way down (from the tip towards the reel) .... open the bail and hold the line with your finger (as when normally using it to cast) ... grab the jighead (by the head) with the hook pointed away from your hand/fingers (with your "other" hand) ... pull the jig back towards the reel until the rod is bent and under a bit of strain ... aim the rod at the intended target (generally an opening between the dock and water's surface) ... the rod should be pointed slightly downward towards the water's surface at a slight degree, and aimed at a point on the water's surface that is just past the first part of the dock closest to you ... release the jighead, and as the jighead slings forward and straightens out the line (on it's way towards your target spot) --- release the line from your finger (on the hand that's holding the rod/reel). The jig should "shoot" forward and hit the water's surface at a glancing blow, and ricochet (skip) off the surface and continue on its journey up under the dock. Lift the rod up to the 10 o:clock position and close the bail ... then start your slow retrieve. Watch the line for any telltale signs of a "hit", and set the hook with a quick upwards snap of the wrist and forearm.
    It's all in the timing of the release of the line by the rod holding hand, angle of the rod, and the shape of the "plastics" you have impaled on your jig hook that make for a succesful "shot". Practice trying to "shoot" a jig into a 5gal bucket (lying on its side) from about 10-15ft away. You should be able to put the jig inside the bucket, in 9 of 10 tries, after you've got your "release timing" figured out. .........luck2ya ...............cp