Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluegill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bluegill

Anybody having any luck catching any quality gills or ears yet? I have caught a few by accident while crappie fishing. Was considering going out and targeting them my next trip out, do you think it would be worth it, or are we still a week or two away?
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on when you make it out again. I'd stay focused on slabs, if it's within the week. I like to take a week or so off and top water bass fish the 1st two weeks of May. With my bday being May 20, it's been easy to remember that the weekend before is getting into prime bedding behavior for the big bulls. Not to say you can't get into them, cuz you know you can.

Being an opportunist, these are just the things I've found that tend to work. I guess when you just love to fish, you want to catch whatever you've got your best shot at.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a thread down a ways, I found some big devils on THursday afternoon. Mostly luck though.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished around a few beds at hardy last weekend and didn't see anything going on yet. Might still be a few weeks out.
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

I'd keep a pole rigged for them after the bite last night. Crappie were down on structure until last light. The gills and ears wouldn't let the jig get down to them! They beat the tar out of it.

If you just target them, ya might check structure or grass just outside of traditional bedding areas. Travel routes and/or points have brought quite a few, too.

Post Thanks / Like

For the northern folks who are gillers... got an email from DNR about a fish study up north.... looks like if you are close to goose lake....you may want to try it for gills.

"Bluegill numbers and sizes fell within normal ranges, except at Goose and Loon. Goose Lake had an unusually high number of bluegills, including many large ones. In contrast, small bluegills dominated Loon Lake "

Down south here, prime should be around the 10th may to end of may thru full moon period. Right now, if traveling banks, instead of throwing toward shallow bank, throw out to deep water. Target weeds, weed lines, and shallow bays.

HHD
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

While battling the wind yesterday, I managed to nail some quality gills on a 1/124th oz. Gitzit fishing the current breaks...still a ways off the banks yet, but it won't be long.
    Roaming the banks of the Kankakee River and anywhere else fish might lurk.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to Elk Creek on Wed. and had a tough time but did manage twelve gills/ears. The biggest redear/gills came out of deeper water, 12-14 feet on bottom. This weather has thrown them off I'm sure, but they should be adjusted to crazy springs around here.

I'd say within the next two weeks they will be nesting. It should be good the entire month of May.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...the entire month of May should be awesome.
    Roaming the banks of the Kankakee River and anywhere else fish might lurk.

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy of mine spent last week at Dogwood and smoked them all week on the nest there, both big gills and big red ears. I am hoping to get a few days at the end of the week to go...good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast