Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mono vs flouro?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mono vs flouro?

What are the pro and cons with crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

I use ultra light jig poles. My thinking is that when using these poles that give a lot, flouro (which doesn't stretch) gets a better hook set. To me mono holds too much memory in the line. This is just my opinion.

"Keep talkin smack and I'll make ya famous !!!"
    B&L Marine Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, fluoro does stretch - just not as much as mono does. The advantage of fluoro over mono is that it is less visible underwater (helps if you are fishing really clear water) and it has a tendency to sink instead of float, like mono.

If you need to get close to the bottom fast, fluoro is the way to go. If you are working the surface/sub-surface section of the water column, I'd go with mono. I don't think the fish know the difference! JMO.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I was really interested in fluoro when I first read about it, and I dropped the cash on a spool. I didn't like it because the diameter is larger than equivalent mono and it just didn't have a smooth feel casting (I used spinning reels exclusively). Also, I read that you have to modify your knots--no big deal, but just something to be aware of.

Some people love it, though, and it's worth experimenting with to see what works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I love it! I'll spank you in the catching dept. in clear water if you're just using mono in clear water and I'm using my fluoro. The dirty dingy water of late fall/winter/early spring doesn't really matter except for getting a lighter jig (smaller presentation) down deeper.

Outfished my buddy Jim the last time we were out with it, I mentioned it was my line... but he attributed it to other things, guess I'll have to spank him a few more times before he sees the light.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    First of all, fluoro does stretch - just not as much as mono does. The advantage of fluoro over mono is that it is less visible underwater (helps if you are fishing really clear water) and it has a tendency to sink instead of float, like mono.

If you need to get close to the bottom fast, fluoro is the way to go. If you are working the surface/sub-surface section of the water column, I'd go with mono. I don't think the fish know the difference! JMO.
    Well excuse the heck out of me.

"Keep talkin smack and I'll make ya famous !!!"
    B&L Marine Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use mono for all fishing, from Musky to Crappie. Maybe one day Ill step out of the dark ages and use one of the new super lines. However I dont see that day anytime soon.

I dont know about you, however my lake has a 25 crappie limit. No need to catch them as fast as possible when you can only catch 25.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!