Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to be able to charge my trolling battery

Iuka-Pickwick Lake-Tishomingo County Mississippi
    Post Thanks / Like

Question I want to be able to charge my trolling battery

while I am running my outboard, can anyone give me some suggestions on this ? I have looked at the "Dual Pro Charge on the Run" unit but was wandering if anyone had any experience with this unit. A little more info about my setup " I am running a 25hp Honda with one cranking battery and one trolling battery, the cranking battery is charged by the motor of course and when I come home from fishing, it almost never needs any charge on it.

thanks for any help

maachuu

Post Thanks / Like

First off, small outboards don't put out a lot of amps in the charging circuits. Of course, any is better than none, so I think you have a good idea. You could possibly use a dual battery switch. In #1 position you could have your cranking battery. In # 2 position, could be your troller battery. Once your main motor was started, you could switch to #2 position, and that should charge your troller battery. A word to the wise though. Be very careful what battery switch you buy. Some allow switching between batteries while running, and some don't. You should never switch to OFF while the motor is running or you could hurt the alternator. I think older battery switches moved to an off position while switching between #1 and #2. The newer ones won't do that, so your alternator will be okay. My newer battery switch states that is safe to switch between #1 and #2 on the run. Here's a Cabelas switch. Cabela's -- Perko Dual Battery Switch Personally, I would contact Perko and see you you can switch batteries on the run. The switch only states that you have to shut the engine down before switching to Off.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Give this site a look. StayNCharge by Retrotec I've been using their product for over 6 years now. It charges my trolling battery pretty good on the ride to and from the lake. Easy to install too. Took me less than an hour. Only takes me 25 minutes each way to and from lake so thats just less than an hour charge per trip and i've never run out of power. The original is what i have. I only put a house charge on my battery maybe twice a season to make sure it stays at top strength. I have optimas. It works on regular batteries too. Just check fluid levels at least once a month.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys, that gives me some things to work with

thanks again

maachuu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    First off, small outboards don't put out a lot of amps in the charging circuits. Of course, any is better than none, so I think you have a good idea. You could possibly use a dual battery switch. In #1 position you could have your cranking battery. In # 2 position, could be your troller battery. Once your main motor was started, you could switch to #2 position, and that should charge your troller battery. A word to the wise though. Be very careful what battery switch you buy. Some allow switching between batteries while running, and some don't. You should never switch to OFF while the motor is running or you could hurt the alternator. I think older battery switches moved to an off position while switching between #1 and #2. The newer ones won't do that, so your alternator will be okay. My newer battery switch states that is safe to switch between #1 and #2 on the run. Here's a Cabelas switch. Cabela's -- Perko Dual Battery Switch Personally, I would contact Perko and see you you can switch batteries on the run. The switch only states that you have to shut the engine down before switching to Off.
    thanks, looked at the perko switch site and at cabelas, what switch are you using ? I want to one that I can switch between batteries while the outboard is running. This is of course so that if I forget to switch while the motor is off (which I would be likely to do)it wont fry my outboard altenator.thanks

maachuu
    Last edited by maachuu; 03-21-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a ProXtraII Charge On The Run model that seems to extend the daily life of my trolling batteries. Before I got it, I could run for a day and a half without recharging, with it, I can get into the third day without needing a charge. Hope that helps you. To me, it is worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

if your troller makes it through the day why not just get a 2 bank charger and when you get home plug it in and forget it. By the next morning both battery's will be ready to go.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe fisherman View Post
    if your troller makes it through the day why not just get a 2 bank charger and when you get home plug it in and forget it. By the next morning both battery's will be ready to go.
    thanks wannabe, I have one of the 2 bank chargers at home but the other day it seemed to me that I was losing some power on my troller battery, so I thought if I could charge it while I was running the outboard that it would be of a help to me

thanks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the type of switch you need to switch batteries while the motor is running. Ignition Protected Battery Selector Switch without Key Lock - Perko 8501DP - iboats.com Make before break is the key to it. However as mentioned you motor has low output and only reaches max at WOT so unless you run it for a long time at WOT you won't get a lot of charge in the battery. Wannabe has the solution.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toothpick View Post
    I have a ProXtraII Charge On The Run model that seems to extend the daily life of my trolling batteries. Before I got it, I could run for a day and a half without recharging, with it, I can get into the third day without needing a charge. Hope that helps you. To me, it is worthwhile.
    thanks toothpick, I have looked at the charger you are referring to or at least I think it is the same one. you just connect it from your crank battery to you troller battery and it stays connected all the time if I am reading right. here is a link to the one I have been looking at, and you might tell me if this is what you are talking about :

Pro Charging Systems

thanks for the help

maachuu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast