Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bobbers & Bobber Stops

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bobbers & Bobber Stops

When fishing with minnows, my wife and I use slip bobbers and the bobber stops that come from Bass Pro Shop. Do any of you use something different? What are some that you have used that might be better?

Bo Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

I just clip a rubber band and tie it on my line with a dubble overhand knot, clip the tag ends, its easy to adjust the depth by slideing up and down your line. and a bag of them will last a long time and cost about a dollar.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bobber Stoppers

Bo,

I've been fishing with Slip Bobbers for the past 25+ years starting using them in Walleye tournaments when I still lived in western Canada. Spring fishing Walleye on bobbers is a lot of fun when the fish start feeding after the ice melts off the lakes.
    Carried on using them for Crappie when I moved to North Carolina, hard to break old habits. Anyway the best bobber stoppers are still hands down the Dacron line that is wrapped around the little tube that you slide up your line before you pull the Dacron off. After you tighten the Dacron on your line (pull the knot really tight) leave 3/4" tags on it when you cut the ends off, this will make it easy to re-tighten if it should loosen up (these tags will not interfere with your line or reel). Also dip your line in the water before adjusting the location (depth) of the Dacron bobber stopper which makes sliding it much easier.

Other types of Bobber Stoppers:
    I have used the little rubber bobber stoppers (always catches on the line on your fishing reel when casting) and the flat little hard board or plastic pieces that have 2 or 3 holes in them (always slides up or down the line). None are worth the time, effort or money.

The bead is really optional I don't usually put one on unless the Slip Bobber has a huge hole through it and the knot would slid through it and I also find the bead catches on the top rod guides and sits uselessly between the tip and second rod guides.

Best place to purchase these is on Ebay (search for Bobber Stoppers) because you can purchase 100 usually for about $10 / $12 dollars (shipped) which is much less expensive then Basspro Packages of 10 for about $3. I like the Chartruse color Dacron because it is the easiest color to see as the line slides through the bobber after you cast.

About making your own! Well if someone wants to take the time to make 100 and sell them for less then Ebays price I'll buy them but you should really be using your time for fishing not tying knots.

Hope that helps!

Now if I could only find Crappie on Jordan as convincingly I would be a happy man.

Kim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreCrappie View Post
    Bo,

I've been fishing with Slip Bobbers for the past 25+ years starting using them in Walleye tournaments when I still lived in western Canada. Spring fishing Walleye on bobbers is a lot of fun when the fish start feeding after the ice melts off the lakes.
    Carried on using them for Crappie when I moved to North Carolina, hard to break old habits. Anyway the best bobber stoppers are still hands down the Dacron line that is wrapped around the little tube that you slide up your line before you pull the Dacron off. After you tighten the Dacron on your line (pull the knot really tight) leave 3/4" tags on it when you cut the ends off, this will make it easy to re-tighten if it should loosen up (these tags will not interfere with your line or reel). Also dip your line in the water before adjusting the location (depth) of the Dacron bobber stopper which makes sliding it much easier.

Other types of Bobber Stoppers:
    I have used the little rubber bobber stoppers (always catches on the line on your fishing reel when casting) and the flat little hard board or plastic pieces that have 2 or 3 holes in them (always slides up or down the line). None are worth the time, effort or money.

The bead is really optional I don't usually put one on unless the Slip Bobber has a huge hole through it and the knot would slid through it and I also find the bead catches on the top rod guides and sits uselessly between the tip and second rod guides.

Best place to purchase these is on Ebay (search for Bobber Stoppers) because you can purchase 100 usually for about $10 / $12 dollars (shipped) which is much less expensive then Basspro Packages of 10 for about $3. I like the Chartruse color Dacron because it is the easiest color to see as the line slides through the bobber after you cast.

About making your own! Well if someone wants to take the time to make 100 and sell them for less then Ebays price I'll buy them but you should really be using your time for fishing not tying knots.

Hope that helps!

Now if I could only find Crappie on Jordan as convincingly I would be a happy man.

Kim
    I'm with you on this one except I tie my own at home before fishing. I mostly use stoppers now so that I get the same amount of line out for trolling or tightlining.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.