Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider rigging?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging?

Do any of you guys spider rig in IN? Law states you can only fish 3 rods at a time, or at least thats what I think it is. Most things I read about spider rigging is 6 rods at the least. Is this something worth getting into in our state?
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider rigging

It is a very affective way of fishing. i started doing it last year. even with only 3 poles, you can rig each one up with a capps and coleman minnow rig, or throw a tube on one, and thats 6 baits in the water. 3 poles will keep you busy, its plenty for one to handle especially if you get into them
    Blakemore/Roadrunner pro staff
    Southern Pro Tackle/ Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Rodholders
    Ranger Boats

Post Thanks / Like

I fish that way 90% of the time, have for years. I can fish with 6 poles at a time with driftmasters up front and my add-a-seat with two people. Cover a lot of water and can produce a lot of fish

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to give it a shot... sounds like a good techique to continue getting my daughter interested into fishing... Last year, at age 4, she was casting at docks with a full size rod and an open face, and she was very impressive. However, every 5th shot was way off, and alittle dangerous .
    Ask me about: Bobby Garland, CrappiePro, Yeti Coolers, Power-Pole, and Simms Products!

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to be doing it this year. I talk to alot of pros and guides, and they all agree that it is the way to put alot of fish in the boat. I got Hi-Tek holders for Christmas, and will be mounting them this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a jig tosser at heart...but admit to getting into it last year with a home made set up. After several trips to the hardware store, etc... I probably spent as much fabricating my own and would have been better off just buying the hi-tek. They are certainly on my radar screen.

Anyhow, I thought the long pole , spider rigging process would be too slow for me but thoroughly enjoyed it. Still though, I would usually put 2 long poles out and cast jigs with my third pole. I fish a lot by myself, however I would love to have the 2 seat up front set-up...not sure if my boat is too narrow for the add-a-seat product.... it sure looks great though. Long poles are a bit of a pain though....what to do with them when you move from spot to spot with your big motor, breaking them down and holding the parts together for storage, and getting used to not reeling them in too far when you have a fish on. Also, every once in awhile the line might loop up on the end and you have to lay the rod out the full length of your boat to reach the end and untangle. The hi vis yellow line and coloring your rod tips orange or chartruese really does help detect subtle bites.

HHD
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it last year 3 poles definitely kept me busy at Patoka. I still just love jigging love to feel the thump and fish that way most of the time. How did you do at reelfoot Locator?

Post Thanks / Like

I mounted two seats pedastal bases in the bow of my boat, alng with Tite-Lok black widow rod holders on each side. Normally it is my father & myself in the boat or my buddy & myself. We run a 10ft, 12ft & 14ft rod on each side, tandom rigged with minnow and tubes (or combo of both) on each pole for a total of 12 baits in the water. Of course it takes two in the boat to have all six rods out, as IN law is 3 pole limit per fisherman, with no more than 2 hooks on each.

HHD, something my buddy has done, and after seeing how well it worked on his boat I installed it in my boat, is to cut pieces of PVC pipe into about 10in lengths and using PVC half moon pipe clamps, mounted them inside the boat in a vertical position. When moving from place to place or even before we launch we will assemble & rig the poles, place the handle end in the pipes which stands the rods straight up & out of the way, very effective!

Locator79, I agree spider rigging seems to be a little more productive in our state than long lining, though this could just be my personnal opinion & what I prefer. Down south though, depending in where one fishes, long line trolling is the big deal.
    Like Momma always said, "There ain't nothin' worse than a messy tackle box!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
    I tried it last year 3 poles definitely kept me busy at Patoka. I still just love jigging love to feel the thump and fish that way most of the time. How did you do at reelfoot Locator?
    We more less drifted deep water with a jig pole in each hand. Sorta spider rigging except my hands were the rod holders. I way little rough at times with two poles, wind, TM, snags ect. Thats kinda what got me thinking out doing it at home. I know those boys down there were set up to spider rig seriously, and they didn't seem to have much trouble filling the coolers.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you'd have a hello of a time in the trees at Hardy...but would be great for "the fields" and in lower part of lake especially if you can locate them along the old channel. Cataract and Monroe both lend themselves well to this technique. Also.... don't try this too late at John Hay... or you'll have weeds dragging your poles out of the boat (don't ask me how I know) ....but should work well there before weeds.
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast