Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigging a telescopic Rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rigging a telescopic Rod?

Just bought a new telescopic rod, and I would like to hear some of the best ways to rig it. It has a metal eye on the very end, but do you just tie to that end. I have read about tying the line a few feet back. Any suggestions or pics would be great. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsu7140m View Post
    Just bought a new telescopic rod, and I would like to hear some of the best ways to rig it. It has a metal eye on the very end, but do you just tie to that end. I have read about tying the line a few feet back. Any suggestions or pics would be great. Thanks in advance.
    When I used to use telescopic rods, i'd tie to the metal eye. Worked great for me, just make sure you use a good knot.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Myself I tie back to the next eyelet
    If by chance you land the mother load and break the tip
    the extra distance will give you a chance to land him
    Might not be the right way.........but it my way
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Try a set of the slide-on guides made just for telscopic rods...work great.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking I didn't ...

Quote Originally Posted by jsu7140m View Post
    ... back when I used my 10' & 12' telescopic poles.

I tied the line around the butt (handle) end .... then wrapped the line around the pole 6 or 8 times ... THEN tied to the tip eye .... and left the same length of line as the pole length, hanging from the tip eye.

I taped the butt end line down ... & several places along the length of the pole. Like Bob#1 says ... if the tip or tip eye breaks, you're still connected to the fish. Plus ... with having the extra line around the butt & wrapped around the pole ... if I should break off some of the line ( on the business end ) then I still could pull off line to compensate, and not have to retie a whole new length of line.

It might help explain things .... to mention that I was using Cortland braid 15lb test as a main line. I tied my leader line to the tag end of that ... usually about a foot of 8lb mono. I tied the hook & put the sinker on the mono.

Trial & error will show you how much line you need to wrap around the pole, and where to tape it down .... so you can still collapse the pole (for transport or storage). It WILL have loops of line to contend with (which is another reason why I used braid for the main line ... because it won't coil like mono)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I tie the main line around the metal eye on the tip of the rod, run your line the length of the pole 10' of line for 10' rod and so on. If you rig it longer than your rod you will not be able to control your bait, and if its too short, you will be too close to your fishing spot. Rig up a slip cork with a weight and a swivel, then tie a leader with a hook of lighter line than your main line. This way if you get hung up, you will break the leader and not half to rig up the whole pole. This is one of my favorite ways to crappie and bluegil fish, you can't use it all season, but its a blast when the fish are up shallow.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

On mine I use a snap on the rod and tie the line to it. I made a wood spool so I can unsnap it from the rod to store the line. Much easer than wrapping the line around the rod.

Post Thanks / Like

why not just put a reel on the handle????DA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    why not just put a reel on the handle????DA
    Because it has no reel seat or guides! DA
    Last edited by Locator79; 03-12-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

it can be stationary if you tape the real on the butt end

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast