Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marine Charger 2 or 3 bank ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marine Charger 2 or 3 bank ?

I just bought a boat with an onboard 2 bank for the Trolling Batteries, the boat I sold had a 3 bank for the 2 trolling batteries and one for the cranking battery.

Do i need a charger on my cranking battery? I know that the outboard has an alternator, but I'm not sure if that battery is powering my electronics, areators, lights etc...I am wondering If I should upgrade to a 3 bank to ensure that the cranking battery is always full too.

Any Suggestions??

Post Thanks / Like

You will be okay with a 2 bank charger . I used a Dual Pro two bank charger for several years on my bass boat and the cranking battery held a charge just fine , even during 10 hr. bass tournaments .

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 3 bank on my boat because I have a radio and lights I use for night fishing wired to the cranking battery, it is also great in the winter to keep your batteries fully charged. A 2 bank charger should work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the three, that way if you if you need it or use the live wells,lights and such you wont have to worry about charging the start battery, it's better to have three and need two than to have two and need three. good luck on your choice

Post Thanks / Like

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    I would go with the three, that way if you if you need it or use the live wells,lights and such you wont have to worry about charging the start battery, it's better to have three and need two than to have two and need three. good luck on your choice
    Couldn't have said it better, just upgraded to a 3 bank. That Structure Scan will be on all day:D
    2014 Crappie Masters Mark Twain Champion
    2 time CDC Truman Lake series points champion

Post Thanks / Like

Had a three bank until two banks went dead. Replaced it with a two bank (the old tightwad thing again). Miss the three bank and regret it now. If it were my boat I'd use the two until it quits and then buy the three. Good Luck!
    Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.......

Post Thanks / Like

Sure...if you've got money to burn, buy a 3 bank. But if the 2 bank is working fine I wouldn't buy another. Your starting battery charges when you operate your outboard. It won't require near the amount of charging as your trolling batteries will. It's up to you, but I would rather sink my money in a new rod or reel (or take my wife out for a nice dinner)...JMHO. Tight Lines!
    Support Our Troops!

Post Thanks / Like

The three bank will come in handy for keeping all your batteries charged during the down months. A two bank will do the job if you just want an on-board for the busy fishing season. Your outboard will keep your starting battery charged if you do a fair amount of travelling on the water. If you don't travel much and use a lot of lights, electronics, etc., then go for the three bank. This is on my wish list. I still drag out two chargers each night when I get off the water. I haven't charged my starting battery in three years with the exception of the trickle charger over winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get the 3 bank, I had a 2 bank and a couple of times my starting battery ran down and it was a pain to hook up a regular battery charger so I got a 3 bank and have never had a dead starting battery since.

Post Thanks / Like

Meller,

3 -----

Z21
    How's it going : One foot in the grave, one foot on a banana peel, twenty people pushing !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast