Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Meniere's Disease

Post Thanks / Like

Default Meniere's Disease

Does anyone have it? How do you cope with it? Do you take any medication for it? I have a felling its going to screw up my fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Meniere's Disease

A site with some info on the disease. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have this disorder, however I do have some information about this disorder. I'm asumming that your doctor told you what to expect as far as symptoms associated with this disorder. There are ways you can manage the symptoms, such as: low sodium diet( low salt), avoid alcohol and caffeine, and bed rest in a quiet, dark room; as far as medications: for treating the vertigo(dizziness) scopolamine patch, valium, ativan; for nausea: phenergan or vistaril.There is also surgery if the aforementioned items are unsuccessful. Hope this helps a little.

Post Thanks / Like

I spent several days reading on the net and came up with one treatment in which 10 vitamins are taken. In just a week, I've seen a differance. I will keep searching to get it under control. I worked in the drug making business for over 30 years and it makes me mad that there isn't a drug made for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdant View Post
    Does anyone have it? How do you cope with it? Do you take any medication for it? I have a felling its going to screw up my fishing.
    Yes, I have Meniere's. I have learned to adjust to it...didn't know I had it for a couple of years and things got worse....stress was the biggest factor. I have learned to adjust to it and still fish like I always have. Looking back, the scariest thing was when I didn't know what it was and was having these
    seizures. As they approached, I could tell a few minutes before the seizure was coming on... couldn't do chit to make them stop. Uggggghhh!!! Many times I would vomit, lay down and then sleep for a hard 8 to 10 hrs. Granted, what happened will not necessarily happen to someone else with the same disease. I COULD NOT DRIVE an automobile when I had a seizure...I remember my first seizure, I was driving a tractor....thought I had food poisoning, sick, nausea, dizzy ! Even was arrested for DUI because of this....very embarrassing for a teacher no less...... Took a breathe test and they dropped the charges, but at the time I didn't know what my problem was. Lots of things come back now that I can remember I went through but probably better not post here , said enough as it is.

Yes, I started to watch my salt, caffeine and tobacco....but the big thing that STOPPED my seizures was getting rid or coping with the stress that I had in my life...

I would say to you this...you are fortunate that you know your situation and can control it to a certain extent. Awareness is SO important in this type of situation.......and life can still be good!

Would be glad to discuss this further if you want...just drop me a PM....

regards,

John

oh yea, one more thing...when you speak on the phone...the ear that is affected...does the other person sound like one of the chipmunks? Just curious, I never use the phone with my left ear....
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

I have already quit smoking, trying to cut back on salt also. My hearing in my left ear has been way down for several years. I only had 6 attack of real strong dizziness, then would sweat like crazy, then vomit. I will sleep for 10 or 15 min. then be fine. I'm like you, the part I worry about is driving. Been lucky so far with that. The vitamins I started taking seem to be helping. Having worked in the drug making bussiness for over 30 years, it makes me mad there is no drugs for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy I work with had it. He had an out patient procedure that cleared it up. Go see a good ENT Dr.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife was diagnosed with it years ago. Ended up being the wrong diagnosis, but a strikingly similar problem. However, life is in no way shape or form over. She suffered the exact same things you described. She dubbed it- spin cycle.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

My Prayers Are You And Your Family