PDA

View Full Version : Question for braided line users??

CrappieCHAMP
02-22-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm going to try braided line this year for crappie, main for dipping arounds thick lay downs. The line is PowerPro 10lb/2lb His-Vis Yellow, reel Shimano Shara 2000 on a 10ft rod. I have used braided line for bass fishing on baitcasters but never on spinning reels. I will first spool the spinning reel with 4 or 6lb backing line first before adding the braid.

Question; Do I need to loosen up the drag for hook sets with braid line? Don't want too break the rod!!
Is braided line prone to coil on the spool on spinning reels?
How is casting with braided line? Do I need to use heavier jigs?
I like to use 1/32-1/16oz.
What about bobber stops, do they stay where put? Will slip floats slide up and down the line okay?

Any other stips on this line? Thanks

sea-sons
02-23-2010, 04:33 AM
I use 15 or 20lb braid for the same type fishing you are talking about. Don't go less than 15lb. Here's the way I rig it and it works great. First put your bobber stoper on. Use a medium sized slip bobber and tie on a small barrell swivel using a palamar knot. Then tie on about 15" of 12 or 15lb fluorocarbon for the leader to which you tie on a #4 or #2 extra light wire gold hook using a overhand loop knot. Then put on just enough split shot on the braid at the swivel to make the slip cork just barely float. With it set up like this, when the crappie bite, they can't feel any resistance from the cork. And when you get hung up, the hook almost always staightens or it breaks off at the hook. You almost never have to go retrieve your cork and retie the whole rig. Of couse this is for using minnows but you could use a jig also.

olduckhunter
02-23-2010, 05:52 AM
cc, while down in florida one winter fishing i was talking to a man complaining about mono kinking up on a spinning reel. he said, "put braided line on it. end of problem. it's made to order for spinning reels." i came home and have a small pond here on the farm with catfish up to 6 lbs in it. i put braided line on my ultr-lite spinning reel and you know how mono will mess up when reeling against the drag pulling out. i intentionally, when i hooked a cat, reeled against the line going out. i've done this over and over and have never had the braided to kink up like mono will. i think i put 15/6? on my ultra lite. i'll never go back to mono on a spinning reel. and i use it on most of my bass rigs. i use the green braided line and take a magic marker and black out the last 4 ft of the line.

old

GCD
02-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Set your drag for the weakest link in your setup! Get everything rigged the way you want it and then hook your hook to an immovable object, then pull back on your rod and adjust the drag on your reel for whatever the weakest link is.... be it your hook, leader, or rod. I usually set my drag this way for the load I want on the rod, but I do use some very light wire hooks that I will set the drag for this way.

Crestliner08
02-23-2010, 07:43 AM
You won't have any problems casting these braids. I would go even lighter in strength and go for something like a Fireline (Spectra type of braid) in the 4# - 6# ratings. Unbelievably fine line diameter and will last and last. No need to go stronger. And you'll be able to cast a country mile! :) Just make sure you use a fluorocarbon leader. Not for the "invisibility" factor, but for it's abrasion resistance. All braids need this, unless your fishing top water baits over open water.

Kyle Schoenherr
02-23-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm going to try braided line this year for crappie, main for dipping arounds thick lay downs. The line is PowerPro 10lb/2lb His-Vis Yellow, reel Shimano Shara 2000 on a 10ft rod. I have used braided line for bass fishing on baitcasters but never on spinning reels. I will first spool the spinning reel with 4 or 6lb backing line first before adding the braid.

Question; Do I need to loosen up the drag for hook sets with braid line? Don't want too break the rod!!
Is braided line prone to coil on the spool on spinning reels?
How is casting with braided line? Do I need to use heavier jigs?
I like to use 1/32-1/16oz.
What about bobber stops, do they stay where put? Will slip floats slide up and down the line okay?

Any other stips on this line? Thanks

I like the 15/4 hi-vis. When I set the drag on my reels I like to set it to where when I set the hook on say a pound to pound and half fish the drag just slips
a little bit. I have a habbit of setting the hook a little harder than I need to and this really helps to hook up on more fish. Remember the braid has NO stretch and on a hard hook set can rip through there mouth, unless it's buried in the top of there mouth, then she ain't going no where.

3's
02-23-2010, 09:12 AM
You won't have any problems casting these braids. I would go even lighter in strength and go for something like a Fireline (Spectra type of braid) in the 4# - 6# ratings. Unbelievably fine line diameter and will last and last. No need to go stronger. And you'll be able to cast a country mile! :) Just make sure you use a fluorocarbon leader. Not for the "invisibility" factor, but for it's abrasion resistance. All braids need this, unless your fishing top water baits over open water.

Scratching my head here. I have fished braid on my long poles for many years and never used a leader of any sort. i mainly use them during the spawn to fish IN the buckbrush and never had any issues. Biggest problem is when your lifting one outa the brush and they let go. The rig lies up and makes one heck of a mess. Also use them jigging bridges and some deep structure. i prefer the 4/15 over the 2/10 due to it seems not to angle quite as easy when you have one spit the hook. Only other real down side is that your minnow can flat tie you up and spend a lot of time digging them out. Only give them as much free play as necessary.

skiptomylu
02-23-2010, 09:46 AM
I use the Power Pro you mentioned, the 10/2 and like it a lot. It's strong enough to bend a hook to get loose some times and still has all the good properties of braid. Maybe loosen the drag a little, but it's not that big of a deal as long as it will let line out if a big crappie surges on you as you don't want to pull the hook out of his mouth. Not a big deal though as far as using braid and you will learn fast where to set things.

Casting is not an issue. Also coiling on spool is not an issue.

Best part is how you feel everything!

Skip

The Lip RIPPERS
02-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I agree with Skip on the 10/2, we have used it since it first came out. Hi-vis yellow works the best down here. You need to set your drag for 2 reasons : #1] so it prevents straightening hooks on the hookset. #2] Takes the shockload off your rod. It casts great and lasts 10 times longer than mono....dont need a leader either. You will love it!

Cane Pole
02-23-2010, 11:22 AM
That's what I been trying to use too. What I don't like with any of the hi-vis braids is that it loses it colors and after a while looks like used dental floss. It works though.

Crappie Chatt
02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
That's what I been trying to use too. What I don't like with any of the hi-vis braids is that it loses it colors and after a while looks like used dental floss. It works though.

Get yerself sum of dat spike-it (chart.) anda Q-tip. Add to spool of faded line. Back to norm anda smells like :D gar-lick. <*)}}}><

GCD
02-23-2010, 11:35 AM

When your braid fades, turn it around!

Take your line off of your reel and tie the end you were tying your hooks to on the arbor of your reel then spool it back up... now you have nice new line that you have already paid for! It's like getting a new spool of line for free!

hays47
02-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Best thing I ever did for my wallet was start using Power Pro. I used to go thru slip bobbers by the dozens before. Now I lose maybe two or three a year.

I rig a good mono for leader because the power pro is too hard to break. Line issues disappeared and more fishing time instead of picking out tangles.

CrappieCHAMP
02-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks for all the tips & advice guys on using braided line!!

coyote
02-23-2010, 08:37 PM
seems to cast a wee bit easier for me.

I like the idea of the spikeit, turning the line around, and it does last a long time! I love message boards! Learning stuff all the time.

Micropterus salmoides
02-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Best thing I ever did for my wallet was start using Power Pro. I used to go thru slip bobbers by the dozens before. Now I lose maybe two or three a year.

I rig a good mono for leader because the power pro is too hard to break. Line issues disappeared and more fishing time instead of picking out tangles.

or don't rig mono and just bend the hook

Adam

woodman38
04-13-2019, 08:42 AM
Great idea using a black marker! Thanks for the tip. I have never used braid and I do not want to mess around with "leaders" etc, so this sounds perfect. Lastly, I wanted to go full-on yellow/greenish color(s) so I can see it better. I have been talking and consulting with Aaron over at FishUSA and he says a pro-shop guy there uses braid for everything with no leaders. Aaron also recommended I put this on my spinning reel for crappie to use PowerPro Braided Spectra Fiber Line. I wish it came in 6l # but 8 will work fine he says. Any way, I am new to this site and enjoying it.

CrappiePappy
04-13-2019, 09:34 AM
Great idea using a black marker! Thanks for the tip. I have never used braid and I do not want to mess around with "leaders" etc, so this sounds perfect. Lastly, I wanted to go full-on yellow/greenish color(s) so I can see it better. I have been talking and consulting with Aaron over at FishUSA and he says a pro-shop guy there uses braid for everything with no leaders. Aaron also recommended I put this on my spinning reel for crappie to use PowerPro Braided Spectra Fiber Line. I wish it came in 6l # but 8 will work fine he says. Any way, I am new to this site and enjoying it.

Glad you could join us .... :welcome to Crappie.com !!

Two things I recommend you also have, if you're contemplating using braid :

1) a pair of Fiskar Child Size Scissors - for cutting the braid. They're inexpensive (usually less than $3.00 at Walmart & can be found in the craft or school sections) and their most important aspect is they will cut braid "blunt". Why is that important you may ask ... well, try pushing the frayed tag end of limp braid thru the eye of a small jighead and you won't ask that question again. :Rofl The "blunt" cut of the Fiskar's will make that task a whole lot easier !! (knives, clippers, and other cutters will "cut" braid ... but, sometimes will leave the tag end fibers frayed)

2) a piece of wood - to wrap the braid around when trying to free your lure/hook from a snag. A wood dowel (thumb size diameter) is ideal, but any piece of wood is fine. Even a towel is preferable to using your hand, or even the foam or cork handle of your rod. Reason being ... braid is thin & strong, and it doesn't stretch, so it WILL cut you (or cut into the foam/cork of your rod handle). Been there, done that. :Doh:

Having these two items will make using braid a much more pleasant experience IMHO. And if you intend to use braid tied directly to the lure/hook ... that piece of wood will save you from cutting your hand, fingers, rod handle, breaking your rod or damaging your reel's drag. :twocents

Grainraiser
04-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Glad you could join us .... :welcome to Crappie.com !!

Two things I recommend you also have, if you're contemplating using braid :

1) a pair of Fiskar Child Size Scissors - for cutting the braid. They're inexpensive (usually less than $3.00 at Walmart & can be found in the craft or school sections) and their most important aspect is they will cut braid "blunt". Why is that important you may ask ... well, try pushing the frayed tag end of limp braid thru the eye of a small jighead and you won't ask that question again. :Rofl The "blunt" cut of the Fiskar's will make that task a whole lot easier !! (knives, clippers, and other cutters will "cut" braid ... but, sometimes will leave the tag end fibers frayed)

2) a piece of wood - to wrap the braid around when trying to free your lure/hook from a snag. A wood dowel (thumb size diameter) is ideal, but any piece of wood is fine. Even a towel is preferable to using your hand, or even the foam or cork handle of your rod. Reason being ... braid is thin & strong, and it doesn't stretch, so it WILL cut you (or cut into the foam/cork of your rod handle). Been there, done that. :Doh:

Having these two items will make using braid a much more pleasant experience IMHO. And if you intend to use braid tied directly to the lure/hook ... that piece of wood will save you from cutting your hand, fingers, rod handle, breaking your rod or damaging your reel's drag. :twocents

This is very good advice. I use 10/2 Power pro for most of my crappie fishing. I when ever you get hung wrap the braid around a wood dowel and pull with constant pressure. This will straighten the hookout 98% of the time. DO NOT USE YOUR ROD TIP if you value your rod or your bare hands if you value them. Use mono backing and you can spool two or three reels with one spool of braid. Like stated when the braid loses color you simply reverse the line and keep on moving. A soft hook set is required with braid because it has zero stretch. It's easy to rip a jig out of a crappie mouth using braid because of the no stretch quality of it. Braid has no memory so it coiling over the spool is not a issue. You will get wind knots with it. It will wrap around your rod tip more than mono.

deathb4disco
04-13-2019, 11:27 AM
This thread wasn't the only cool thing that happened in 2010:

The Top 10 Everything of 2010 - TIME (http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/0,28757,2035319,00.html)

woodman38
04-13-2019, 04:09 PM
Thanks CP, I could not ask for more info than that, I will go with what you know for sure. Got in my Jeep and went to Lawson MO City Lake this afternoon and just got back, it was deserted,windy and cold....yep,... I did turn around and come back home. Being retired and all along with that surface water temp being as cold as it is still I can pick and choose the days pretty much, I live real close to it so i can check it daily np. Again, thanks and I will let you know how things go.

Bugtussle
04-15-2019, 04:55 PM
No need to cross their eyes when setting the hook with braid. For crappies, all you need is a little flick of the wrist.

cva34
04-16-2019, 07:52 AM
if filling spool with braid is more expensive than ya like..fill spool part way with some cheapie line in same #test range and tie on braid the last 25y or so ....I love Braid too, but Tying is a nightmare for these old beat up hands and eyes

woodman38
04-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Good idea, thank for posting it. I am going to do just that. I need to look-up the best way to join the two lines and then ,....go fishing. They will be biting here in MO as we finally warm up for extended days, I am ready.

catchNgrease
04-16-2019, 09:04 AM
Power Pro makes a hivis Slick8 that holds it's color real well. I've heard tale of guys breaking rod tips setting hooks. That's gotta be like a 5 or 6 foot hook set. Them feeshes mouth ain't that big.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Cray
04-16-2019, 09:05 AM
Good idea, thank for posting it. I am going to do just that. I need to look-up the best way to join the two lines and then ,....go fishing. They will be biting here in MO as we finally warm up for extended days, I am ready.

Check out how to tie the UNI knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

woodman38
04-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Lol Charlie, them feeshes aint Crappy if that happens. Funny you mentioned that, I broke the first 3" off the tip of one rod power-rolling up the back window yesterday! That makes it the 3rd time I have done that. I think I have finally learned the lesson now dangit. I will try the UNI thank you sir. Aaron at FishUSA recommended the PowePro slick high vis also. I need to get a copy of my DD-214 sent in for the 10% vet discount and order some asap like today even.

Clayton H.
USN 1976-79
Honorable, deck hand/line handler
West Coast on two sub rescue ships.
A very crazy time, surprised I lived through all the endless parties!

Gbcorley
04-16-2019, 11:33 AM
We all Probably agree the only bad thing about braid is when its new, it gets wind knots easy. After it gets broken in, its probably the best line to put on a spinning reel. I know a lot of guy that take fabric wrinkle releaser ("downy light and fresh wrinkle release plus" is the one most of them like) and stray the reel spool after putting new line on. Wider spool spinning reels also help with not getting wind knots as bad until the braid breaks in. I went to braid saltwater fishing years ago but stayed with mono for crappie for along time. When I was designing the rods I built, I started trying new lines to see how the rod reacted. I found some power pro original in 3 and 5 pound test, both have a sub 1 pound dia.. When it comes to casting a 1/32 or 1/16 oz jig it really helps with getting some distance along with every other benefit of braid with the most important being feel. I just tie a 8 pound fluorocarbon leader with a uni to uni and this set up has about put a end to me you using mono. honestly i don't know why I didnt do this a long time ago.

NUBSTER
04-17-2019, 07:40 AM
Bobber stops (the rubber tubes) wikk work great on braid as long as you remember to Grease the line (spit) before moving the stop. Have used braid for years after the price increase on Bobbers. Good luck!

DonaAna1
04-21-2019, 02:11 PM
One drawback to braid is using it in wind. The wind can really move braid and it is difficult to keep the lure slow and/or deep.

ricky
04-21-2019, 04:35 PM
You can also use "hi liter" pen for faded line.