Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fontana Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fontana Lake

Hi, I am just wondering if there is anyone on here that fishes fontana.I have generally a pretty hard time catching crappie:confused in the winter time.If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never fished Fontana, but some fellows I know fish it for Walleye. They told me that the water is so super clear that you can drop a dime in 30 feet of water and tell if it's on heads or tails. They also said the fish are so spooky, due to the clear water, that they troll at least 200 feet of line out the back and troll at least 100 feet of line behind there planer boards and run the boards at least 80 feet out from the boat. They have never mentioned Crappie before being in Fontana. They're may be to many fish with teeth in there that would eat the Crappie.
    Good luck.

Kellog

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught some big crappie there while fishin 1/16oz white bucktails up where the rivers come into the lake. this was in apr/may. I was throwin to the bank, usin a very slow retrieve. we would catch 15-20 walleye, 8-10 crappie, a few big whitebass an a couple smallmouth a day. coulda sold all my bucktails to observin fishermen.

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished Fontana but not for crappie. We fished for smallmouth and walleye. However, while at Almonds, I did notice some coming in with crappie. The water is clear. Kellog I didn't try the dime thing, but it might be possible depending upon the right conditions. It was great fishing then, but that was 35 years ago. Man am I that old!

Bo Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

hey glad to hear someone talkin about fontana, thats my lake so to speak, rather be there than at home, used to have a houseboat there too, and yes there is crappie there, and plenty of them, i can put you on a good cove if you'll pm me, i'd use 1/32 ounce jigs though, minners if thats your game, most overlooked crappie lake around b/c everyone goes there for the smallies and the walleye, of course smallies are what ive fished for most there, i'd fish up the little tennessee from almond and up the alarka flats, and greasy branch is pretty good too....wanna see some deer, hogs, and bear, and catch crappie head up forney creek.....good luck

Post Thanks / Like

After reading the post on this thread I have decided to take a little vacation this spring to Fontana. I haven't been there since I was a little boy. Mom and Dad had a picture from the early 60's of me standing beside a man kneeling on the pier who was holding a really big fish. They said that the fish jumped from the water onto the pier and the man grabed it before it could squirm it's way back to the water.

Kellog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone who had advice and as for KELLOG let me know when you are coming up and I'll try to give you a report on what the fish are doing.To OSBCPREACHER I sent you a pm let post back if you did not receive it......I'm not sure that it went through.Thanks again!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi North Carolina C.C,

I usually fish in KY, but we're coming down to Fontana Lake. Its really a girls weekend so that my wife and her best friend can get together, and the way they pitched it to Ken and I was that we could go fishin', too. We have this Sat to ourselves. We were thinking about bringing my boat and chasing whatever is moving on Fontana, but now we're thinking about just doing some trout fishing: walking in, bank fishing kind of stuff. Any one have recommendations on where to go? I know nothing about the place, so whatever details you can provide would be most appreciated!! Also, can you bank fish Fontana? Is it worth doing, or do you need a boat? THanks for your input!!

The Sheriff

Post Thanks / Like

You guys would have way more fun boat fishing Fontana
    ....I dream in Lures and Code....My bass hear my Voice, they know who I am and follow me.

Post Thanks / Like

hey preacher sent u a pm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast