Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let me know what you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let me know what you think.

While doing research on spider rigging I realized I had did some fishing similar to that when I was a kid but walleye fishing. We used to troll/vertical jig live bait spinners at low speed, 1 to 1.5 mph. So it occured to me that this maybe something that could be applied to spider rigging, deep jigging, or flipping past stumps with live bait or tipped with your choice of artificial bait.

I made this with 10# mr. crappie hi vis, a quick change clevice and #6 red roach hook. The hook could be changed to a wire hook very easily. I chose the quick change clevice to make it easier to change color combinations. As finicky as crappie can be at times I felt this was a necessity. I also modified some 3 way swivels by adding snaps to 2 sides to make it easier to change weights and rigs easily. Here are some pics of what I came up with. Keep in mind this is a first try and I think I would like to down size the spinner blades.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Opinions are like A-holes, everybody has one and some stink worse than others!

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Look good. Colors are great. They will catch fish the size you have them but downsizing the spinners may help. They would be great long lining with them at those speeds. Most of the rigging we do with minnow rigs is at 0.1 to .5. Real slow to keep the baits in the strike zone as long as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I am probably off on my speed estimate on the first post. Thinking about it we used a 3/8 oz. egg sinker fishing them in 25 to 45 feet of water and the rig would still be just off of vertical. So it was pretty slow.

Post Thanks / Like

Those look like the would kill the walleye if you troll them. We use something similiar back in colorado for trout and pike. Those are some good looking worm harness'!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Look good to me. I'm with J15 on the blade size tho. I think smaller blades would be better. The blade is just to get the fish's attention anyways. Good luck and be sure to let us know how they work out.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwillaub View Post
    Look good to me. I'm with J15 on the blade size tho. I think smaller blades would be better. The blade is just to get the fish's attention anyways. Good luck and be sure to let us know how they work out.
    Well the try out will have to wait till June, that is when I get back from Iraq. Needless to say I got some funny looks from the guys I work with when these came in the mail (the only standing water where I am at is raw sewage) and I got some extras from the suppliers when they saw the shipping address.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree,downsize the blade and you'll kill fish with em.......good work.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Well the try out will have to wait till June, that is when I get back from Iraq. Needless to say I got some funny looks from the guys I work with when these came in the mail (the only standing water where I am at is raw sewage) and I got some extras from the suppliers when they saw the shipping address.
    Well, when you get back we will have to get together and go try em out. Afterall, we are neighbors. Thanks again for your service.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Look good, Redneck.

Hey, where do you buy your blades? I think those are the Colorado blades, no? We make our own walleye rigs and I forget the size, but they're more about the size of a dime. Kinda small but that makes them spin that much better at slower trolling speeds.

Problem is, I can only find a few colors stocked here, so was thinking online?

Post Thanks / Like

They are colorado, if you are going smaller for more flash avoid the deep cup colorado, everything that I have read is to make them spin slower but it supposedly increases the vibration. I ordered them through northland tackle, www.northlandtackle.com. Their bead size is inconsistant though. They are consistant for the color but they are they seem to be +/- 1mm up or down. I ordered all 4mm but some of the colors seem to be 3mm, can't say for sure as I don't have a micrometer here. I found a whole saler that has a better selection but it is whole sale only, not sure if I really want to venture into the business realm.

Where do you walleye fish at? I have heard that Truman and LOZ have some pretty good walleye populations but have never really met anyone that fishes them actively in those lakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast