Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Drifting Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drifting Crappie

I recently drift Taneycomo and limited trout in 3 hours.

I have drift for Channel and done well.

Has anyone drift crappie?

With Kansas spring wind - drifting would be good.

I have read of trolling or long lining.

Would these techniques work?

How far behind the boat would you run the jig?

Just speculating.

Post Thanks / Like

I drift for crappie in Texas and have done well. I use the same methods that I would use for catfishing but I down size the presentation and I use a crappie rig. the weight will depend on wind speed, but I always start at with a 3/4 oz wt. And I use a drift sock to slow down the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

when spider rigging, I will throw out a couple drift socks to slow down, and just drift when the wind is up.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I drifted for crappie when I use to rent jon boats @ Lake XXX with just my 3.5 hp Tohatsu and no trolling motor. Just motor ahead of the wind and let the wind carry me back. I use the supplied paddles to keep the boat sideways and drift along the main channel. Best rigs was the two hook wire arm crappie rig and carolina rig. Lower wire rig straight to bottom and let it bump bottom and use carolina rig bout mid depth. I caught fish
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

We have alot of shallow water here and we drift with bobbers with a jig 3 or 4 ft. down let it out about25 ft. from the boat. Sometimes we slow troll back against the wind to the starting spot.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Saves the batteries when the wind it right. About everyone I know, that fish for crappie, uses the wind when they can.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

what stump hunter said, I drift a lot, stow troll over an area, get bite, let wind push me back over spot, sometimes we just drift with the wind and use the trolling motor to position the boat in or out from bank, I like it

Post Thanks / Like

One day drifting is what got me to long line trolling back in about 1978 or so. It was pretty windy and I was fishing a big Hydrilla covered flat and started catching crappie really well. So it gave me the idea that I could do the same thing on any bank or flat using my troll motor in place of the wind. That is how I started long line trolling.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whiskerwhipper View Post
    I drifted for crappie when I use to rent jon boats @ Lake XXX with just my 3.5 hp Tohatsu and no trolling motor. Just motor ahead of the wind and let the wind carry me back. I use the supplied paddles to keep the boat sideways and drift along the main channel. Best rigs was the two hook wire arm crappie rig and carolina rig. Lower wire rig straight to bottom and let it bump bottom and use carolina rig bout mid depth. I caught fish
    We also drift with a jon boat at reelfoot since I don't like taking my boat there and have had great success. I bring a battery and small trolling motor and use it for direction and just float the lake marking better areas with a hand held gps. We suspend a jig under a bobber out from the boat.

Whiskerwhipper doesn't that carolina rig hang up a lot or do you fish that in weed beds?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whiskerwhipper View Post
    We also drift with a jon boat at reelfoot since I don't like taking my boat there and have had great success. I bring a battery and small trolling motor and use it for direction and just float the lake marking better areas with a hand held gps. We suspend a jig under a bobber out from the boat.

Whiskerwhipper doesn't that carolina rig hang up a lot or do you fish that in weed beds?