PDA

View Full Version : Boat Prices

Tugaloo
11-27-2005, 10:00 PM
I was looking at the boat at Bass Pro Shop last summer. It was aluminum, about 15 feet, one of the smaller boats they had. It had "Crappie" in the name. It had electric start and I think it was a 25 hp Mercury motor. It was basically shaped like a jon boat, except that the front had a kind of Vee shape. But I don't remember anything about the price. Can someone give me a ball-park price for a boat like this?

Tugaloo

sac-a-lait
11-27-2005, 10:09 PM
25 Merc is about $3,000 plus the hull with options about another $2000 plus trailer ($500-$1000)...I would think BPS is charging at least 4000-5000 for it...But that's s guess. If you go to a marina in Jackson, MIss the same setup would be about 8000-10,000

CrappiePappy
11-28-2005, 12:49 AM
was it one of these - http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=1280

or one of these - http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=1282

or was it one of these - http://www.trackerboats.com/segment/index.cfm?segment=15

IF it was at BPS, and an aluminum ... it would probably have to be a Tracker boat, of some kind. Click on the "customize with build a boat" link, in the above links, and you will get an idea of what the price ranges run. It depends on what size motor you want to upgrade to, mostly. ....cp

Tugaloo
11-28-2005, 01:23 AM
It looked a lot like the Panfish 16, altho, it may have been the other. I think the panfish would suit my needs, tho. Would this boat be more stable on the water than my 14 foot flatbottom jon boat? I push it with a 20 Johnson.

Tugaloo

Barnacle Bill
11-28-2005, 02:04 AM
Which ever you decide on, get the biggest motor the boat will take or can afford. You will not regret it. I don't know how many times I have talked to people that got smaller motors and regret not getting a bigger one. Just my 2 worth.

abarkley
11-28-2005, 06:38 AM
Which ever you decide on, get the biggest motor the boat will take or can afford. You will not regret it. I don't know how many times I have talked to people that got smaller motors and regret not getting a bigger one. Just my 2 worth.

absolutely. the 25 hp is not a big enough motor for the panfish special. that boat needs at least a 40 hp. i've seen some of them that would barely even plane out with the 25.

chef
11-28-2005, 05:01 PM
the ads at b.p. always have a small motor on the rig, when you go to the store they
hit you up fpr a bigger motor, which is what you need. the ad just gets you in the
store.
chef

Jig'r
11-28-2005, 05:53 PM
If I'm not mistaking, Keith Cox just got one on the VA. site he has a web page e-mail him, he has a nice set up.GOD Bless.. ;)

CrappiePappy
11-29-2005, 05:35 AM
It looked a lot like the Panfish 16, altho, it may have been the other. I think the panfish would suit my needs, tho. Would this boat be more stable on the water than my 14 foot flatbottom jon boat? I push it with a 20 Johnson.

Tugaloo

Tug ... check the width of your boat against the Tracker of choice -- the wider of the two will be a bit more stable than the other. But, don't expect any aluminum, basically flat bottomed boat, to be all that stable ... they're all going to be a little "tippy" (since they draft so shallow, due to their design & lighter weight), and they will be prone to being easily blown around (same reasons).
Another problem with underpowered boats ... is that the motor has to work extra hard to push the load and/or plane the boat - this uses fuel at a high rate of consumption. A larger motor may weigh more ... but, the greater power and larger prop will put the boat on plane quicker, plane the boat higher out of the water (reducing drag), and allow you to "cruise" without keeping the motor at WOT (wide open throttle). This equates to better mpg, and also doesn't tax the motor as much.
Just something to think about ... it may not affect you, but forewarned is forearmed !! ............ luck2ya ........cp :cool:

smedley
11-29-2005, 09:05 AM
to add to what CP wrote....a smaller motor will have to work harder to get you aroung the water. In most cases this would mean shorter life of the smaller motor. Bigger motor=less work=less maintenance=longer life. I have an older Tracker with a 40hp on it now. I couldn't imagine that boat with a 25 hp on it. Might as well break out the paddle. My$.02

Billbob
11-29-2005, 09:22 PM
a small motor will not give you boat control while trying to load or turn sharp

Tugaloo
11-29-2005, 09:30 PM
I really appreciate all the replies to this thread. It's going to be probably at least 6 months, since the price is going to be that high, but I will definately want to think about a larger motor. My son & his wife may also use it (hopefully VERY far away from fisherman) for some tubing, so a larger motor will be absolutely necessary.

Tugaloo

sac-a-lait
11-29-2005, 10:13 PM
I got this set up below for $7,300 NEW w/ motor, prop, controls, everything except fishfinders and trolling motor.

http://fffmag.com/rmf/BOAT-1.jpg

http://fffmag.com/rmf/BOAT-2.jpg

http://fffmag.com/rmf/BOAT-3.jpg

CrappieHead
12-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Wished I had of went with the 60 or 70 hp motor when I got my boat rather than the 40 hp I did go with. That extra $1000. would have been worth it now. Will cost a lot morre to up grade now.

XMAN
12-01-2005, 01:35 PM
I just bought a new one last summer, was looking at a 17ft. with a 70hp but when the wife went with me we came home with a 18.5 g3 with a 150 4 stroke. Glad too,although i never run over 40, i can tell there is no strain on the motor. And if i've got a 1/2 tank i don't worry about gas.

crome
12-01-2005, 06:50 PM
xman,do you have a pic of you g3?

Gentleben
12-01-2005, 10:05 PM
I have a 14' shallow draft PleasureCraft fiberglass panfish boat, narrow, stick steering up front, pushed by a 25 hp Johnson, power tilt, boat is great as I fish by myself. I f I add another body it really becomes a challenge for the 25 hp Johnson..I knew that when I bought the boat but that is what I wanted.
It is narrow to crappie fish the stump patches and shallow draft to get across shallow waters..I also use it jugging in shallow waters .
If ya gonna go tubing you'll need a bigger motor and deeper boat, you'll swamp a shallow boat.

CrappieHead
12-02-2005, 01:44 AM
I fish alot alone and think I would like a stick steering boat myself. I also like the feeling of sitting down in the boat rather than on top of it from a casting deck. Does any boat company make a wide body stick steer boat? Maybe in the 18 foot range? I know of one company that offers a front steer boat, it has the steering wheel to the left of the driver seat, but they can offer a big motor than if it was stick steering.

XMAN
12-02-2005, 02:14 PM
CROME.... I don't but can take one if i can figure out how to put it on here!

PanMan_VA
12-02-2005, 03:02 PM
I fish alot alone and think I would like a stick steering boat myself. I also like the feeling of sitting down in the boat rather than on top of it from a casting deck. Does any boat company make a wide body stick steer boat? Maybe in the 18 foot range? I know of one company that offers a front steer boat, it has the steering wheel to the left of the driver seat, but they can offer a big motor than if it was stick steering.

Both Tracker and Lowe make 16' stick steer versions where you are not sitting on top of a cast deck. I really liked both of those boats, but ended up with a Tracker Pro Crappie 175. The 16' boats would require modifications to the trailer to fit in my garage. The 175 already had a swing away tongue that reduced the total stored length so the pagkage fit in my garage. Our neighborhood has rules about keeping a boat outside. The cost for a privacy fence and the smaller boat was greater than the cost for the larger boat and I already have a fenced in back yard. Sometines things just work out. :D