Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old timers, new posters, guides,and all

Post Thanks / Like

Default old timers, new posters, guides,and all

Others. it is getting the time of the year to start helping out, posting ideas on fishing, how to catch, what to use, now remember your opinion counts, why now you ask well in my opinion a lot of crappie fishermen get excited this time of the year and want to go fish. and some get into a tizzy because they dont catch any crappie, I remember last year and biteme kicked my butt, I fished right next to him, had one foot in his boat, was eating part of his lunch, and couldnt get a bite, he was jerking fish after fish out. so I sat and watched. his style was quite a bit different than mine, so I watch and learned, tried his way a couple more times and what do you know I got it,

my first tip of the soon to be new crappie season is. look shallow early. water temp determins the spawn not the time of year. you can find spawning crappie in feb. right place right time. so look for it. north bank, shallow water, dark bottom, creeks running into coves. all contribute to spawn,

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a great idea! Maybe we do a post for each time of the year: Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. Everyone putting in their two cents on how they fish in each part of the year. I know when I got started, it was hard to find anyone to talk to about this. I'm at work now, so I will post later on tonight.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

your so right Beagle. I remember going below Truman dam and sitting next to a gentalman and casting within 2 feet of his casts. He was bringing 1 in after another. I decided to sit back and watch him for a couple minutes. His technique was so close to what I was doing except he would be giving his rod a smaller twitch. Man what a difference. It is funny how just the littlest things can make a difference. I know you were catching them yesterday casting. That is something I would never of thought of this time of year. I know Sunday I had to work the jigs so slow or nothing would bite. I also was using 2 different color jig heads. (1 black, ! chart) with a pumpkin pepper chart. tripple ripple on both. First 2 haours only caught them on chart. head. then Next few hours It turned and only on black head. I think watching others and trying different things is best advice anyone could give. Great topic Beagle.
    vince
    Outlaw Walleye and Crappie Poles (anglersmidwest.com guides and gear)
    MossBackRack.com
    Jenkins Nissan(813-420-0983)

Post Thanks / Like

We have found that the orange jig heads is working this year. 2 years ago white was the color.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Idea Beagle. I just bought the "Hot Spot Map's" on Truman. Hope I don't kick the bucket before Spring Camp. Any help or advice would be appreciated for this newbee. Those Hot Spot's, I can't find a number to call on them to make reservations. First off, are the channel's safe to run in? Any hid'n stumps in them, around Buck Saw? Or for that matter, the lake at normal pool? Ninety One Day's left for me, and I'm ready.

Post Thanks / Like

My advice is to listen to the ones who know! Don't get a big head because you caught some fish one day when others didn't, in my experience your day of a blank day will soon follow and you will be scratching your head thinking they were there yesterday??? My thanks to some very fine men on here ie..Beagle, Buzzy, Bender just to name a few who are very generous with info to help you out. That is my advice if you want to become a better fisherman. Just listen to the ones who know. This is directed to Stockton lake there are some other fine gentlemen that are always willing to give you advice on other lakes like Truman like OSS, Jiggin15. Just jiggin and so many others, my thanks to all you guys! What a great site to be a small part of!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how many troll with cranks and rattle traps, but is a very good way to catch crappie. I use the big motor and idle about 2mph, with about 50-100 ft. of line out, pausing Evey now and then to let the lure sink. Pre-spawn is a good time when they are staging in deeper water. But really you can catch them about anytime trolling. You can cover a lot of water in a day. Didn't troll much last year since I got hooked on jigging trees. Here are a few of my favorites.
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Well I agree with you Gator listen to the elder members on this board that have done it year after year. But if you ever get a chance to either fish with them or follow one of them around jump at the chance! I know PW58 and I got the chance to follow OSS & Ron around last year a couple of times. We learned alot just watching them. But I have to say that I would purchase a ticket anytime just to watch OSS & Ron fish together. I have never seen two guys give each other so much trouble as those two. I almost fell out of the boat laughing 2 or 3 times listening to them go after each other. But one thing you will learn by watching them, yes they are giving each other trouble, but they work like a well oiled machine together.

Hint I always thought fishing with a rod longer than 6 foot was a joke. Learned my lesson, now both I and PW58 have 10 foot rods.

I don't always catch all the fish in my boat but it is always a team effort. I know there were a couple of times that I was out with either my partner or PW58 that they were in the back of the boat and come up with a pattern that caught fish. If they wouldn't have pointed it out to me, I wouldn't have caught any fish. Don't be afraid to try something new. Both my fishing partner and PW58 are very new to this crappie fishing. And both think out of the box. Sometimes I am thinking this has always worked so I am sticking with it. Be open minded and you might catch more fish.

Post Thanks / Like

apkape I usually try to get a thread each major change in season. now no giving out spots, just the way and what kind of conditions you fish, lots of folks read on here and some help may help them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Darn Beagleman now I gotta type

again how many of these are you puttin' on...... I don't mind helping all I can, and I even let out a lot of my spots, it is just the ones I consider tourn. spots that I have to get tight lipped.... As in your other thread, after letting a jig down say 8-10' in brush,cedars,hedge,etc.... pull and let out a 1' or 2 real quick and hang on..... at least it works for me on Truman, he is there he just can't resist that quick drop to react and hit it......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast