PDA

View Full Version : GPS Mapping programs

bmoffitt30
11-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Doe anybody know the difference between the Navionics HotMaps and (Lowrance) Fishing HotSpots Elite? Are they the same info but designed for different manuracturers (Navionics and Lowrance)? I am going to purchase the Lowrance iFinder H20 GPS and I am going to buy a lake map card and these seem to be the two options for me.

Barnacle Bill
11-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Have you checked out these freebes from LEI? http://www.lowrance.com/Mapping/LakeMaps/index.asp

bmoffitt30
11-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Have you checked out these freebes from LEI? http://www.lowrance.com/Mapping/LakeMaps/index.asp

I did but my the lake that I fish is not listed!

Barnacle Bill
11-26-2005, 10:58 AM
I did my the lake the at I fish is not listed!

Thats my problem, I keep hoping they will add Kerr Lake in Va.

Ranger690
11-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Bill, Navionics Hot Maps has Kerr in all three grades of maps. But, they don't work on Garmin, so I am out of luck.

Dayton

Ranger690
11-26-2005, 01:17 PM
http://www.navionics.com/LakeMaps.asp

Barnacle Bill
11-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Bill, Navionics Hot Maps has Kerr in all three grades of maps. But, they don't work on Garmin, so I am out of luck.

Dayton

I already have it on Map Create. I'm just hoping they will come out with it there fpr more detail without more expense.

badbill
11-26-2005, 04:09 PM
I just bought the Lowrance LMS-480 and it came with Mapcreate 6.3. I'm amazed at the newest version because it is alot better maps than the 6.0 version. Also when you download the enhanced maps from Lowrance the underwater contour maps are great. Lowrance products are well worth the price. i have a garmin 250 sounder and i will be selling it soon to replace it with a Lowrance for the front of my boat.

Crappie Reaper
11-26-2005, 07:34 PM
I would suggest if possible, that we start another room, that would allow us to share GPS files with one another. Those with so much money to spare could share the maps. And those who have marked spots could share their spots. May not work, but is a thought. I know I can't afford to buy expensive mapping programs. Most of which I will never have need of.

Kenny
11-26-2005, 07:54 PM
I already have it on Map Create. I'm just hoping they will come out with it there fpr more detail without more expense.

IBNFSHN..I have a Lowrance H2O GPS unit and am considering the Map Create to use for trip planning...do you like it and would you recommend it? I am very happy with the Ifinder H2O gps unit and think Map Create would be a good addition.

Don G
11-26-2005, 08:14 PM
Thats my problem, I keep hoping they will add Kerr Lake in Va.

Bill, do you have the Garmin Fishing Hot Spots Eastern Region????I reallly like FHS...Do you think Lowrance has better maps?

Barnacle Bill
11-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Bill, do you have the Garmin Fishing Hot Spots Eastern Region????I reallly like FHS...Do you think Lowrance has better maps?

No, I have the Lowrance Map Create 6.3 That is why I hope they add Kerr to the enhanced versions. I really haven't seen a FHS to compare it with but I would assume it has more detail than what I have now.

bmoffitt30
11-26-2005, 09:49 PM
IBNFSHN..I have a Lowrance H2O GPS unit and am considering the Map Create to use for trip planning...do you like it and would you recommend it? I am very happy with the Ifinder H2O gps unit and think Map Create would be a good addition.

Kenny, did you buy the Fishing Hot Spots Elite from Lowrance?

Barnacle Bill
11-27-2005, 12:07 AM

I've got the H2O unit too. I've used it one time to set up a route to a friends house. I didn't do the waypoints quite right, but it took me right to his driveway. I thought that was pretty neat. I've got a lot of learning to do.

Kenny
11-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Kenny, did you buy the Fishing Hot Spots Elite from Lowrance?

No I didn't..I haven't bought any software for the gps unit yet. I am going to buy Map Create for trip planning I think , but I haven't decided which software to buy for the lakes. I don't really know enough yet to make an informed decision.

Cane Pole
11-27-2005, 06:54 PM
I have often wondered which map is best. I like Garmin fishing hot spots, but I don't think there is a hoot of difference between any of them. I don't think Garmin, Lowrance, or Bill Gates went out and surveyed any lakes or rivers. I think the guys (Lowrance, etc) just took existing GEOMATIC data originally provided by our government (sometimes they do good things) and painted it up a little to meet their needs and our "wants and gotta haves" to make themselves a bunch of money. I am sure these guys (Garmin, etc) want us to believe they did all this stuff, but I just can' believe it could be true. I think they have a lot of savvy programmers that make sure no manufacturer can cross over to another manufacturer program thus making nothing compatable. It is about the money. Most of the data on the maps is old data. Don't believe me? Just call them and ask any of them the date of the hydrographic survey...You will get some interesting answers. hahaha...Just my opinion. I still buy the stuff. They got me hooked..ha..............

whizkids
11-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Right on Tom!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was serious about bass fishing I bought US Geological surveys of areas before the lakes were impounded and colored in the shoreline myself. I guess most of the lake maps today were created from similar data. The good thing about the maps I made were they were so much larger and creek channels, points etc. were easier to find. Much of the detail gets lost on lake maps because they are shrunk to fit on a foldable, easy to carry map.

I would like to experiment with some of the new stuff, but I would like a large screen just for GPS, none of the split screen stuff. A Lowrance GlobalMap® 7600c HD GPS+WAAS $1899.00 from Cabela's. Santa are you listening? :)